Car Hauling vs Fridge

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by trucko, Oct 2, 2015.

1. trucko

trucko Medium Load Member

Aug 3, 2015
    Are there guys who worked on both?

I work as driver for car hauling company and next week I am going on my third trip as solo driver for 8 car hauler truck.

After counting all risks and extra work on car hauler I am thinking if it is comparable to other cargo.

I have heard good things about fridge.

With car hauling the worst thing is if you want good pay you should do 2 round trips NY-LA or NY-SF per months. So you are never home or only 5 days per month. I have told that it is possible to make NY-SF round trip in 10 days but this is absolutely lie. It is possible but happens very rarely. I need 12-14 days to make round trip.

So I am thinking may be I can switch to other cargo for a while, see if it is good, I can always come back to car hauling. Target is it should make me at least $8000 a month as driver.

anyone who did both could help me a lot

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    Not alot of steering wheel holder jobs pay 100k a year. Maybe get onto LTL and put some time in.

tomthedriver and Hammer166 Thank this.
  4. trucko

trucko Medium Load Member

Aug 3, 2015
    what is LTL?

I work for small car hauling company who gave me truck right away after first trip with experienced driver, I did well, so they gave me truck forever but I am required to make 2 trips per month otherwise they will give it to someone else.

I am thinking to gain experience and look to become o/o or go to respected company where I can get other benefits too

my current company does not even give me w3, they want 1099

5. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    There is an LTL sub forum on this site.

6. reefer101

reefer101 Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2014
    see if you can sleep next to reefer unit especialy god forbit older carrier. and night time deliveries. or during produce season you come for a pickup and there are already thousand trucks waiting to be loaded and you get loaded the next day but your appointment is not changed....

7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi trucko, I commented on your other post about being overweight with cars. LTL, means, "less than a load", and that means, rather than taking a full load somewhere, you'll make many smaller pickups, and while frustrating, you can make good money doing that, and get around. The downside to that, is anything and everything will go wrong, and you may get delayed at one stop, and then not make it to your next one, and so on. It's all how well you deal with problems. There really is no "easy" trucking, every type has it's up's and down's, although, the least hassle ( and best pay) for me, was a tanker. I don't mean any disrespect at all, but car hauling, is a tough job. I know I would never do it. ( except maybe a 2 or 3 car deal). There are easier ways to make a living trucking (although, your numbers seem a little high, but it's possible) Another job I liked, while boring, was a line haul. You take a loaded wagon to a place, usually, the same place every day (or night) drop and hook, and bring another wagon back, although, I think an OTR job would pay more, if you don't mind being gone. Good luck. Oh, the 1099, I'd get used to. Seems everybody is doing that now.

8. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    Are you picking up 8 units from 8 different places?

9. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    I just crossed over to car hauling after 22 years of running hard with reefers and vans..

The money is better in car hauling for sure but the work is much harder.......I personally are working harder but not running harder.....I'd say my last 10 years or so was spent doing LTL long haul...If you want to make money pulling a reefer around that is where you will make it, but its not better than car hauling money....LTL is an entirely different game than just dragging around a trailer doing one pick one drop, but its not for everyone...You are constantly under the gun trying to get to your next stop....You better know how to run, log, budget your time carefully, and be on time...

I could go on and on about LTL long haul but won't........stick with car hauling you'll make better money.

justcarhaulin and 201 Thank this.
  10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Like Tall Mike sez, car hauling has it's advantages. Usually, there's not a big hassle with deliveries, as people usually want their cars, unlike reefer hauling, you pull in with a load, that HAD to be there, they tell you, park along the back fence, we'll come and get you, and they never do. I pulled a lot of reefer ( by the hour, thank goodness) and swore, I'd never do reefer again. Crabby receivers, bogus appts., lumper fees (if any), wrong pallets, temperature of load, 4 trucks ahead of you and only 1 dock door open, you get the idea. Van, dump, or tank are the only things I'll do now. (Except hauling classic cars to auctions, now THAT would be cool):thumbup:

Tall Mike Thanks this.
  11. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    When I first started this new job I kept asking the boss man "when do I have to be there" ?? He was like "whenever you want I guess"..

We did have a customer call and ask if we could be a day early yesterday..It was ServPro and they needed the rig I had on for a job they were on..

KANSAS TRANSIT and 201 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.