Carefully not being overloaded

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Chris Routh, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Chris Routh

Chris Routh Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2016
    Hey folks. First post here. Haven't had much luck getting legitimate answers on some of the actual car hauling boards, as most of us simply get that we're crazy for hauling 3-4 cars behind a dually. I've enjoyed reading this forum where quite a few of you are using the dually wisely, and for a long time, successfully. I use Amsoil and have ran all kinds of vehicles, and farm equipment hard for a long time. Well now I've had a 2013 Ram 3500 drop in my lap for free/willed. It was my wife's grandfather's, so you already know what's coming........ He didn't drive it much, and only pulled a 7500lb RV. It has 48k on it. They knew I've been pondering going into the car hauling business for a while, so he decided to just give it early. He believes that Mr. Trump will have a great opportunity/economy for me hauling cars in a few short months, and I hope he's right no matter who's in charge.

Anyway, I've been looking at 3 car drop decks, and true 4 car haulers like Infinity and Wally Mo. With all these setups a car would go on the back of the truck. This truck is decked out, and has a 14k gvwr, but after doing the math, it seems a 3 or 4 car would have to be loaded very carefully by putting a decent weighted car in the #1 spot, then make sure I have the heaviest car in the last spot, to pull as much weight off the truck possible, and hopefully it works out to 15-20% hitch weight. We were this careful loading stuff on the farm, but never weighed it. Just make sure the rear truck tires are in the ground firmly, and not squatting too much. After the math, a 4500 would be better, but the 4500's math only amounts to another 1600lbs or so possible payload. In other words I don't see how I can haul too many trucks/Suv's that way 6-7k. Plus Infinity is way too expensive, for starting out, and both it and the wally mo are 9k+, so again the math gets difficult, or are these trailers well balanced to carry most of the weight on the trailer? They would have to be, otherwise the 38k gcwr would be impossible! I've also looked at kaufman, but the configuration for the #3 spot is very low, and the Appalachian Micro 4 doesn't sound very stout, even if I upgraded to punch hole decking, but I like the configuration. So that leaves me looking at some drop deck trailers and all are well built and around 8k unloaded, however a 48ft 3 car is the only possibility with the length limits. What advice can you give me on loading these and staying legal with weights? Thanks, Chris

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    What's sad Chris, is if you plan on hauling only vehicles off of centraldispatch 99% of the vehicles pay so little on there that you have to haul at least 4 to earn a rate per mile that nets you a profit. We move a mixture of freight and vehicles, sometimes 1/2 to 2/3rds of our trailers have freight and then one vehicle loaded on, or we have a couple of work trucks on. Either way we're getting a rate per mile that nets a very decent profit. When we have two trucks on, typically they're from companies that we regularly haul for, not central dispatch vehicles.

Those that say you can't make money hauling two, three, or four vehicles at a time, in my opinion they either lack the know how, drive, or both to do it. Yesterday we loaded a single truck on one of our hotshot owner operators paying $2.83 per mile. On another one of our hotshot owner operators we loaded a vehicle paying $1.44 per mile.

If you're dead set on hauling just vehicles you'll need to go after direct work and only use central dispatch as a last ditch effort to fill the trailer out. There's nothing easy about this business.

The trailers I run here in my business are considered two car trailers but they have a 102" wide full wood deck. We like being able to haul LTL freight and vehicles. image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

4. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    And a little tip, don't take any trailer dealer, or manufacturers word on how much a trailer weighs. Make them drop it on a certified scale before you close the deal.

samcperez Thanks this.
  5. Chris Routh

Feb 27, 2016
    Flatbed, thanks for the reply. I actually want to do both cargo and vehicles, but that's absolutely impossible and there is no insurance for both......at least not on the car carrier forum, and those same forum members are on other sites as well, so it's hard to find the right info. In that 2nd photo with the tall cargo and 1 car, how did you get up that high to tarp it...folding ladder? Also it looks like you also have some cargo on the hitch, and I'm assuming you have a flat deck over there? So loading that.....was that cargo lighter than that 4500lb car? It has to be because that cargo looks big.

I see 1 trailer that is definitely a wood floor and in the other photos I see the back of the trailer is steel, but I can't tell about the rest of the floor. I was actually initially looking into a steel floor or steel runners and a wood or steel grate in between, with hole punched runners to load cars easily, which is what most dealers want, as opposed to the way you have them strapped. Do you find people you haul cars for, doesn't matter how to strap them? Just trying to make a trailer as strong yet versatile as possible.

I know that CD is low now. My neighbor actually hauls cars. He is semi-retired. He has a 3500 with a camper in the bed, and a 2 car behind. He at most has hauled 2, 1/2 tons. He has a few contacts that he hauls for that do custom vehicles and they pay well. So he's had to be very picky in the past 3-4 years. He's 75 though now, and getting ready to move back to CA for the last years. He's been trying to get me to take over for 3 years now. Typically when he hauls he's gone for 1/2 the month or more, and stays with family in CA, or he and his wife just stay out and sight see as well, typically in the NE, USA.

Lastly I'm in DFW, TX. I'd like to stay within 500 miles at least 60% of the time, as I'm just not an over the road person. I used to be a professional musician and have traveled extensively, and it was fun, but it's not a good life balance. I'm looking into cars because there is a lot of auto auction stuff here, as well as a lot of cars moving around TX, but yes, low pay. My wife is the main bread winner and we will always put her job first, as she works from home and has now for 13 years, and will also be able to move into management from home. I'm 45 and have actually been a stay at home dad for 13 years. The 13 year old can now almost take over, but I'm looking into 3-5 days of hauling still. Looking at how much the auto auctions pay, yes I'd have to haul 4 at a time to make any kind of money. I was looking at the Infinity and such because I can use a true 4 car hauler and stay under 65 ft, because I'd still like to be able to use the truck as a truck with the bed on. So the trailer's that were flatbeds, were the 48 ft drop decks, where I could still fit 3 full size vehicles.

Don't want to make it longer, but still loading the loads I see in the photos or what I've described above with a flatbed, it just seems that it's difficult to not be overloaded on the payload for the 3500. So the bigger question should be....what does DOT hold you accountable for in weights? The GVWR of the truck and trailer combined and individually, and/or the GAWR individually? If it's the GAWR, then that is like 9000lb on the 3500, but to have anything over 6000lbs, maybe even 5000lbs, of payload, would put me over the 14k GVWR of the truck at least.

The last thing for sure with hauling cargo, is all the strapping, and sometimes strapping difficulties. Boy I thought I'd seen a lot on the farm strapping stuff, hauling from farm to farm, and for the neighbors as we had a big farm operation, but looking at photos of LTL's, there is some crazy cargo hauls! Thanks for your time and help! I appreciate it! Chris

6. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Just logged in to see what's up. Not enough time to answer all. This right now so I'll come back when I have more time.

Yes, you can get insurance for hauling vehicles and freight together. We work with several Independent Owner Operators based in Texas that do it everyday. 2 of the pictures I posted are actually TX based Owner Operators. I can give you phone numbers of insurance companies in your state if you want them.

Like I said I'll come back later and answer the rest of your questions. Kinda swamped right now booking loads.

7. Chris Routh

Feb 27, 2016
    No problem, but my long write up is a problem! Just trying to get answers, and the car haulers mostly hostile to dually guys, even though I've run a dually to about 600k before we finally had to sell the parts off of it. Chris

8. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Hi Chris, I actually run a two car hauler with a 3/4 ton Ram 2500, when I started I was super small, running a 1/2 ton 1500 with a single car hauler and depended heavily on central, but after getting in with a couple big name brokers and through trial and error found my lanes that are most profitable for me, I very rarely use central. I have been on there for a year and have 15 positive ratings. There are some compaines like Metro-Gistics and Cars-Arrive (Adesa) that require a certain time and amount of ratings before you can haul for them. My point is I could have a lot more ratings if I used it more. What enabled me to go from a 2013 Ram in March to a 2016 Ram 2500 in November surprisingly is United Road and their Car-Max contract. While yes the rates are on the low side, it can and is profitable for me. Like I said I found my profit lanes and keep my trailer loaded 90% of the time. Other brokers like RPM Freight Cars-Arrive and Ready have decent freight but don't really operate in my lanes. Ready Auto which is owned by Manheim Auctions has mostly North-East and Mid-West routes and Cars-Arrive which is Adesa Auctions have to many INOP's and that's something I am just not willing to take on.
    There are a ton of guys on here that have helped me and explained a lot to me. Even though I have been in the industry since 1999 this is my first year operating under my own authority and it's a lot more involved when you do all of it yourself. I don't know if this has been any help to you but I thought sharing my experience and what works for me keeping my bills paid and fuel in my tank might encourage you to keep moving forward. Personally I think the number one requirement for this type of work other than money and credit is passion and the love of what your doing. Without that I don't believe any of us would still be doing this day in and day out.

Good Luck with your ventures. I hope to see you out there trucking along. Stay Safe and above all have fun

DrDieselUSA Thanks this.
  9. Chris Routh

Feb 27, 2016
    Ryan, thanks for the info. Yes I've read through all of your posts, so I was familiar with your story. Thanks for the info on the different boards. I looked at all of them, but haven't done anything more. You just saved me some money! Chris

10. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Your Welcome Chris. A lot of the info that I have posted I learned from a lot of these guys here. For the most part all of them are well meaning but as you saw in my post bottom feeder, some get very opinionated and believe it's the hot shots and small car haulers killing the rates. I have learned a lot this year and got a long way to go. I'm banking on the spring and summer months when the loads pick-up again. People say I shouldn't count on it but from what I saw last summer and how restricted I was with only a single car hauler, I feel I can make it go better this year. Right now the South is drying up and if your not doing snow-bird hauls from the North East it's real slim pickings down here. Just another note all the boards like Central and Ready Auto, require DOT and MC numbers just to gain access. The only load board that it doesn't really matter to much is U-Ship and if you want to go that route all I can say is good luck and best of luck with those loads. Take Care Chris Happy Holidays

11. Chris Routh

Feb 27, 2016
    Flatbed, I know you're busy, but could you chime in, sometime when you have time please? Especially on the GAWR question at the end. Even the 4500 with a GVWR of 16500 only has another 1500lbs. of payload available to get to that 16500, so by my math, 6000-6500 would put me over that, but the GAWR of the 4500 is 12k on the rear. It just depends on what DOT measures, because I don't see how guys aren't overloaded on the GVWR truck, without carefully loading to make absolutely sure there is no more than 15% tongue weight. No hurry for an answer with the holidays and such. I'm not moving forward til the end of January anyway. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Chris

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.