Cargo insurance

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by DuesyJ29, Feb 14, 2016.

1. DuesyJ29

DuesyJ29 Light Load Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm beginning to gather the information I need to get started as an O/O. Right now, I'm looking into cargo insurance. I'm hoping you guys might have a good source for insurance that you could share with me. I just need the minimum coverage to haul loads whenever and wherever. Any help with a source would be greatly appreciated, and any advice that you might have would be appreciated as well. Thanks

MS

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Contact OOIDA. When I ran under my own authority, they gave me the best price.

4. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Buy it along with your liability. Keep it simple.

5. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    OOIDA won't write cargo if they don't do your auto.

6. Blue and the Gray

Blue and the Gray Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Checking with OOIDA is OK...Im not so sure about the best price anymore. This is what I can tell you. Research the heck out of who you are looking to get it from. I got insurance from an agent here in NC where I'm based out of because I figured that if I had a problem with it, then I could go to their office and get things straight. Right? Not really. I just recently started my Trucking business last year. I went with "Great Quotes". Now Im not saying these guys are bad....but this is what happened to me.
    When you buy the insurance most guys have to Finance the insurance unless you have the 7 or 8 Thousand to slap down to pay for the Yearly Payment. So you sign a bunch of forms and they give you the paperwork you need to get you to the next step in the process. Well about 2 months after I received every thing from the FMCSA telling me that I was good to go and that my MC number was active...I get a letter from the FMCSA talking about my insurance. I call my guy in Charlotte which is about 3 hours from my house. He tells me I'll look into it and see what's going on. No problem. He calls me back and says someone forgot to post the payment. It's been taken care of. No problem. The next letter I get back from FMCSA is a letter revoking my authority. This is not good. Had I been under a load, out on the road it would have cost me majorly....Long story short. One of the 3 insurance companies that I go through did get the money but never let the FMCSA know. So now I have no authority, and it cost money to get it re-instated. So after working with my guy in charlotte...who is now having to jump through hoops because he knows I've paid the insurance bill and it's their mistake...is having to get it sorted out and by the way....I didn't have to pay the fee to get re-instated, but it will still show up if a broker runs my insurance. Nothing I can do about it. So that is my take. Be carefull, Ask them lots of questions, make sure you can have access to get certificates if you need them. Hope that helps.

nofilter Thanks this.
  7. herbiemin

herbiemin Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2014
    http://www.rouxco.com/

Talk to a guy by the name of R.C. Roux. Was recommended to him by a friend. Talked to him over the phone, was very knowledgeable and willing to work with you to get your cost down. He is an independent writer and will shop around for the best price. We haven't started yet, but our cost for a new venture with a pete 359 and end dump trailer with my dad and I was around 13,000 a year if I remember right....was thru progressive but at a better price than thru progressive themselves

8. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    @Blue and the Gray be aware that the next letter you may get if the truck is in your name same as your co. name will be a driver lic. sup. letter for no insur. on a truck in your name with a tag in your name?

nofilter Thanks this.
  9. crazyk

crazyk Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Northern MN
    Also, OOIDA won't insure you if you have under 4 years. That is what happened when they called me.

nofilter Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.