Cargo Vans With Panther Expedited Good Idea??

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Bigarmin88, May 22, 2010.

1. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    The rate on cargo vans is too low to make decent money driving for someone else . What is the pay arrangement ? With most it is a 60/40 split . You get 60% of the revenue to the truck but you buy the fuel . You need to find van drivers that have driven for fleet owners but there aren't many . You could ask van O/O's what they are making then deduct the 40% you'd give the owner .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. joem

joem Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2012
    thanks Rick. seems like this is a losing proposition. maybe i should keep looking in my own area. joe

4. TennTrucker

TennTrucker Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Dresden, Tn
    Vans are called bottom feeders for a reason. I can take a van load in my st8, but a van can't get my load.....:D

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

5. Bigarmin88

Bigarmin88 Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Tampa Bay Fl
    Think and please correct me if i'm wrong,I think Panther pays .85 cpm for cargo vans + fsc which can range from .15 - .20 cpm.From what I know and heard if a i.c driver gets 60% or 65% there getting around .55 cpm + fsc.I been seeing ads on EO for cargo van drivers wanted and most of the time they are offering either 60% or 65% or .55 cpm + fsc.Like I said Panther don't have enough freight for cargo vans and I heard this from few Panther cargo van drivers/owners I spoke to.Most cases if your going drive a van with Panther don't expect to make more than $400-$600 a week after fuel cost.

DY2009 Thanks this.
  6. joem

joem Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2012
    thanks for the info. 400-600 a week is enough to keep me going as all my major bills have been paid. ill see what the recruitor has to say. and how much upfront cost is involved.

7. Blind Driver

Blind Driver Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2006
    New Albany, IN
    Is there room with Panther for a crew cab dually pulling a cargo trailer that would hold 6-10 pallets? I would have to add a roller floor to ease loading and unloading.

I want to do something with my truck. Wither van or flat...doesn't' matter to me, but I think there is more money in flats.

Pulling a cargo van would allow me to add a popup camper in the bed of my truck. This would be the most comfortable way to roll. Or I could have living quarters in the trailer, but I guess I would have to log "off duty" as sleepers are not allowed to be on the trailer.

8. firefox30

firefox30 Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2012
    yes thats correct i was outa service i was i moving to a new home and some how it showed i was in service but i was not i have been out a week and yes i refused because i was not on there time

9. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    You have to remember you only get paid for loaded miles . You move empty a lot to get out of dead areas . Then you are buying fuel and not getting FSC which is only paid on loaded miles .

10. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I have a friend who lives in the same town as me just outside of Chicago. He has a new Sprinter van and leased with Fed-Ex Custom Critical and is making almost as much as I do in a Class 8 truclk a week. He runs Chicago to Canada, Toledo and Detroit. He loves it and wishes he'd have made the switch from big rigs years ago. I can't blame him seeing the cost of a van is 1/3 that of a new rig...... something to think about.

Never heard anything good about Panther as all the one's I've spoke with had just switched over to Fed-Ex or their "owner" was changing over. I see a lot of the old Panther trucks with Fed-Ex logo's now.

11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Yes , an O/O can make decent money but what about a driver giving the owner 40% ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.