Carpeting cab floors

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Mustangjoey, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Mustangjoey

Mustangjoey Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2011
    Rockford, IL
    Got a couple older work trucks that I run for construction in the summer. And they are very loud and the nasty old rubber floors aren't doing it for me anymore. So thinking about getting a roll of carpet for them and cutting to fit. (Couldn't find any exact fit kits for these older trucks)

Question I have, since I've never done this before, what kind of carpet do you guys use? There has to be a certain kind that holds up better than just regular plain indoor carpet right? I just want to cut down on some of the noise and make it look a little nicer inside. Any tips appreciated. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    construction..........................carpet?????
    I think you would be better off if you looked to put some sort off insulation.
    There have been several threads about people putting hardwood floors in the cab>
    They all put insulation under it.
    If you look for those threads...............as i remember it,they even have addresses where to get good deals on that.

Mustangjoey Thanks this.
  4. Mustangjoey

Jun 29, 2011
    Rockford, IL
    Maybe I'll try a search. That would be pretty cool too. Just blow it out and go. Although carpeting is quieter. Have it in my Pete and love it. Decisions decisions....

5. RoosterNB

RoosterNB Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2014
    New Brunswick, Canada
    We just did a 2001 Western Star with some water resistant foam underlay (for basement floors) and a $35 roll of brown outdoor carpet that matched the interior and the exterior paint quite well. Total for both was around $70. The labor was the expensive part. Took over guy must of the day by the time he pulled up the old stuff and had the seats out and back in. It was worth it in the end though. The old truck deserved it.

Mustangjoey Thanks this.
  6. Mustangjoey

Jun 29, 2011
    Rockford, IL
    The foam underlay is a must. That is cheap. Right now with the hours we have been getting I could take a day and do that. We are getting rained out a couple times a week for the last few weeks. Thank you for the idea!

7. RoosterNB

RoosterNB Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2014
    New Brunswick, Canada
    The underlay was 1/4" thick, if I recall correctly, and he put 2 layers in the cab and 1in the bunk (just to save opening another pack). 2 or 3 layers the whole way through might have been even better.

8. Mustangjoey

Jun 29, 2011
    Rockford, IL
    Nice! I have two daycabs that need it. Hoping it quiets it down a bit. Good to know

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.