Cascadia Antenna Solutions

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by mike5511, Apr 30, 2014.

1. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    In bama i am down west of birmingham(30mi west) but ill keep those other shops in mind,tks dude.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Go to a machine shop and have them cut one and thread it for you. Better yet have them cut & thread you one out of a steel rod first ( a lot cheaper) and make sure you have the length right before you spend the money on SS one.

4. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Well i had a machine shop make 3 18" shafts ages ago..I can tune it #### near perfectly on tje back of the cab,it tuned just as well off my old volvo mirror arm...

Like i said there is something im missing...Maybe it wasnt grounded well enough for this truck..
    For three of those solid aluminum shafts i had made it cost me $180 and another $100 to have three shortened top masts made for my predators so im a lil shy to spend more without exhausting other options figureing this out....

5. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    I know what that fella was tryin to say about the white ant and the triblo effect...From what i thought i learned he had a di pole unless di pole and counterpoise is the same in some way...According to what i looked up the tribloeffect applys when you rub two items together...Then again you get static off the wings and props of aircraft...I have seen wings glow through static..

For now i dont have to worry about static when my mfj 259b #'s are way off standing still..
    Bugs me that i gotta run it out back cause i loose to much reception and it tunes to tall for the overpass,mostly in ny..Maybe ill use the company fibreglass ant and tune that..

6. Neverready

Neverready Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Pocomoke City, Md.
    Still haven't been able to get decent cb swr running 2.2. I've tried various grounding methods even built a dipole but couldn't get swr below 2.2. So I thought maybe 2 meters would be a bit better since it is a shorter wavelength. It would run between 2.2 to 2.4 this was using bird perch type mount. So after several tries including a dipole I decided to try a 1/2 wave no ground plane antenna (Laird Brand). After trimming the antenna to get to 146mhz running 1.2 radio is much happier now.Was wondering if anyone has tried the firestik no ground plane cb antenna kits? and how did they work out?

7. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Was the dipole electrically Isolated from the bird perch?

8. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    My machinist In Ohio only charged me 22.00 to make a 4 foot shaft for a predator 10k. Then again, antennas are his specialty and he already carries the die to cut the threads for the aluminum in the 10k shaft so he didn't have to buy anything

9. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Nice dipole. is it isolated from the perch?

10. L.B.

L.B. Third Generation Truck Driver

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    I use the firestick cb type antenna for 2 meters and get 1.1-1.2. Great antenna.

Neverready Thanks this.
  11. Neverready

Neverready Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Pocomoke City, Md.
    No the dipole was still grounded to the bird perch. both the cb and 2 meter versions. Since the Perch mount was a poor ground I didn't consider that having that still grounded would be a problem. Might try the dipole again using rubber between dipole and the bird perch. I did check with a meter that the mount, perch and the antenna that I was using as the counterpoise were making all making a good connection. I figured the counterpoise being grounded to the perch would improve the effectiveness on the truck. I guess that was actually defeating the purpose of having a dipole.
    This refers to my dipoles I can't speak for others that have tried it.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.