Cascadia Fuel Return Shutoff

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Pizzle, May 29, 2016.

1. Pizzle

Pizzle Bobtail Member

May 29, 2016
    I have a 2014 Frieghtliner Cascadia that I am having trouble locating the fuel return shut off valve. I'm not sure if it is it, but when I open the kick plate to fuel the def tank there's 2 handles with yellow grips, would that happen to be the shut off valves?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    That is what they are and where.

Pizzle Thanks this.
  4. Pizzle

Pizzle Bobtail Member

May 29, 2016
    Thank you very much sir. Just didn't wanna do anything with them until I was certain.

5. Pizzle

Pizzle Bobtail Member

May 29, 2016
    That's not the return shut off... Tried it and it cut off fuel to engine a considerable amount. Instant engine derate by 25%+ followed by engine shut off roughly 10 minutes later...

6. 25(2)+2

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    It does both return and shut off drawing from the tanks. The actual valve system used to be called Equi-flow, and you could draw off one tank by closing off the other, and the return was closed at the same time so the shut off tank didn't get overfilled with returned fuel.

Not all FL trucks had the system that could shut off one tank so easily, and it eliminated the crossover line on the bottom of the truck between the tanks.

I believe they used the system without shut offs in some applications, as we had 5 FLD 120s with no shutoffs from the 2001 model year. A 2000 Columbia had a rotary switch, but that had an ISX and electric pre charge pump to prime the engine fuel system.

msh Thanks this.
  7. Pizzle

Pizzle Bobtail Member

May 29, 2016
    OK now it makes sense. I can't just turn off the return lines then, it has to be both?

8. 25(2)+2

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    It shuts the tank off, literally. I have only touched it on a few trucks, and only to get one running again if 1 tank went empty for some reason while there was fuel in the other tank. Beats walking or waiting for help to show up.

Another advantage is that the tanks will even out if you can only get fuel into either one but not the other, easily, like if one side of a pull through set is out of service and the place is busy.

Repositioning to fill the other side isn't always easy.

9. 25(2)+2

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    What are you wanting to do? I don't think there is a way to get a properly functioning system to shut off the return and run it into the other side while drawing from both without removing a line.

10. Pizzle

Pizzle Bobtail Member

May 29, 2016
    There's a leak in one of the returns so I was just trying to shut off the return until I can afford to get it fixed.

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  11. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Vice grips. Had a Western Star that would not equalize had to clamp the return so all the return would go to the passenger side tank.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.