Cascadia &microwave

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Anonymousproxy, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Anonymousproxy

Anonymousproxy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2015
    I'm thinking of getting a microwave for my next truck which will already have an APU and 1500 watt inverter, but I'm curious of what set ups people use for placing a .5 to .7 cubic inch microwave oven inside on of the cabinets.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dieselfuelonly

dieselfuelonly Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I had a 2011 Cascadia and this little Whirlpool microwave fit perfectly in the cubby above the HVAC controls in the sleeper. I know some Cascadias have a cabinet with a full swing-out door there, but mine had a cubby there and I took the trim piece off the front of the cubby to get a little more clearance on the sides and this microwave fit PERFECTLY on the inside. Couldn't put the trim piece back on or I couldn't easily open the door.

http://www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-WMC20005YB-Black-Countertop-Microwave/dp/B005GSZB3M

[EDIT]

Found a picture:
    [​IMG]

4. marineman227

marineman227 Dock Waterer

Jan 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I drive an 09 cascadia and my microwave won't fit in any of the cabinets so I have it under the bed. The area under the bed is divided into 3 and you can only get at the middle from inside so it's wasted space otherwise.

5. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    2015 Cascadia
    and mine sits on the floor in front of the bed

6. Wild Murphy

Wild Murphy HAPPY TRUCK DRIVER

Mar 25, 2014
    Is a 1500 watt good enough for this microwave and a small refrigerator?

7. dieselfuelonly

dieselfuelonly Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I probably wouldn't go any smaller than a 1800w inverter. You *might* get away with starting it if it was a real high quality 1500w inverter with an excellent surge rating. It would definitely trip if the fridge compressor and microwave tried to start at the same time.

8. Dr_Fandango44

Dr_Fandango44 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I have a 2015 Cascadia Evo and none of the cabinets are big enough to stow the microwave. So I built a strong shelf and with some shaping I've
    placed it over the passenger seat. Theres a ledge that runs right around the cab so that works for an anchor.
    I also have a 1500 watt inverter,{pure sine} and its more than enough for the microwave and fridge. And my fridge is big, 4.5cuft in size. I don't think fridges use all that much power these days, unlike the microwave.
    Good luck.

9. Drifter42

Drifter42 Hopper Heartache

Dec 4, 2011
    Seymour IN
    My last truck I had a 1500 watt inverter and a dorm fridge, never had any problems. I would like to get a 2500 watt next time just because lol

10. Cavekoon

Cavekoon Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Madison,Ms
    I have a 2015 cascadia and had it strapped down on top bunk until I figured out a better way
    This is a Rival 700w sub 50.00
    microwave from Walmart
    What I did was pulled drawer out
    On each side of slide rail is a metal tab that can be depressed to separate drawer from rails
    Next I removed the door and striker plate
    Next I raised lower bunk if you look along edge that the bunk rest on you will see three screws remove these as well this will allow cabinet to flex enough to slide microwave in
    Put removed parts / screws back in place took me ruffly 30 min
    Our company would only let us have a big inverter if they install it to many people melting wires by bad installs it's a 1500w from Napa auto works great mounted behind drivers seat .

Attached Files:

Call_Me_The_Breeze and simon999 Thank this.
  11. simon999

simon999 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Good idea!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.