cascadia regen..... nightmare!

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by soon2betrucking, Apr 3, 2010.

1. SLCTrucker

SLCTrucker Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Salt Lake City UT
    My check engine lite stayed on too, was a sensor problem but I did not suffer loss of power.

Is it a 60 series or a DD15, mine is a DD15.

Did they replace the DPF at 300,000?

And yes it seems like more than just the regen stuff, and when my sensors went bad it wanted to regen every 700 - 1000 miles.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. oneshot

oneshot Medium Load Member

Feb 28, 2009
    mississippi
    Call Macon and wake him upto get u some help.:biggrin_25523:

4. SLCTrucker

Jan 15, 2009
    Salt Lake City UT
  5. Ducks

Ducks "Token Four-Wheeler"

Jan 1, 2007
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    I'm not sure if this relates to the original post, but a friend of mine drives a 2008 Freightliner Century class with a Detroit Series 60 in it. (I don't know the engine size, though.)

The regen in his truck seems to run once or twice a day. The engine surges under load, misfires, the tach jumps between 1200-1300 rpm, and there's a lack of power on even minor hills. (He often jokes that some days he drives more time with his flashers on than off.) Despite keeping his speed about 55-58 mph consistently, he's having trouble getting his fuel mileage over 6.5 mpg average.

Between the engine problems and the APU, this truck has been in the shop at least once a month for the past seven months. He's even had it to a Detroit shop... and although they've done some testing and changed some filters, the truck still runs like crap a lot of the time.

He thinks the engine problems relate to a malfunctioning regen system. Plus he's wondering if the company may have altered the engine torque (?) when they turned the truck down to 65 mph.

If I'm making any sense here, do you think this is similar to the problem described by the OP? (And if I'm not making any sense, please tell me I'm clueless and ignore my post. I'm trying to remember everything he's told me over the past year...)

I'm just trying to understand.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  6. Dreaman

Dreaman Medium Load Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Iowa
    At least they are admitting to a problem. I was sitting after the truck wouldn't run in Feburary. Luckily had an apu for heat. They were convinced since it didn't need regen that I gelled up the filters. Sent this dumb ### out to change filters. Didn't even have the right filters with him, and had to use my spares. Still didn't fix it. So I sat some more and finally they sent out a tow truck.
    I tried to tell the company the day before it had something wrong with it. I guess they knew better. Could have drove it to the dealer the day before instead they had to tow it a 100 miles to this same dealer after hours.:biggrin_2556: Can I have a raise now? Oh expenses are too high. HMMMMM. How about we hire some people in road break down that have a clue! Ok I'll stop now.

7. soon2betrucking

soon2betrucking Road Train Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    yeah, i have the dd15... i like it... but my mpg.... :biggrin_25524::biggrin_25513::biggrin_25510::biggrin_25516:... well, i been in this truck since dec.. i have yet to see it up above 5.4.. on a good day it MIGHT get to 5.5 but hardly ever! 98% of my loads are over 40K... but i talk to many drivers in cascadias that get well over 6.0mpg on all heavy loads...

the head shop guy said that the inside of my exhaust pipe should be the color of my fuel tanks whent hey are clean... i told him that its more like the color of the tank straps, they are black... but he said unless the check engine light is on the dealership wont look at it...
    well, its on now... and hasnt gone off... so we will see wat happens on monday.

8. soon2betrucking

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    hahahaha.... nahh... ill let him have the weekend off.... let all the other people call him with their regular bs... you know how it is...

9. soon2betrucking

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    im not really sure... i do know that my truck does 2 types of regens...
    1. the truck does a regen while im driving down the highway.. i dont even know its being done... no change in power, no change in rpms no change in anything...
    2. the truck alerts me by lights on the dash that a PARKED regen is required. this is this is the one as i stated earlier that i would never do in a truck stop out of respect to others who may want to be sleeping rather then using my truck as target practice.
    the rpms on this regen run about 1850 and should hold at that rpm, the rpms shouldnt be going up and down, just holding still at 1850..
    the problem your talking about sounds like it may be a fuel issue, but im not a mechanic by any means!
    again, other will chime in and give you their input!

10. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    Heard the same thing from a Prime L/O too. His 08 Century was doing the regen every 600 miles and he was a trainer. Is your friend a L/O for Prime???

KH

Ducks Thanks this.
  11. SLCTrucker

Jan 15, 2009
    Salt Lake City UT

I gross 79,500 all the time and can get well over 6mpg

Running SLC to Cheyenne WY I can average 6.0 mpg
    Once I hit leave Cheyenne and head east I am up to 8mpg through Nebraska.
    Seems like you have a lot of issues, tell them about the poor fuel mileage too it could mean something.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.