Cascadia...

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by racemaxx24, Aug 7, 2015.

1. racemaxx24

racemaxx24 Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2014
    East TN
    I just got into a 2013 Cascadia that has the antenna mounts on the side of the cab. Bought a new Cobra 29LX, hooked it all up and i'm getting antenna warning on the radio. I know its putting something out because i have got a response to a radio check, but i assume very limited range.

Reading through some threads on here it looks like my best option will be to get a mirror mount and run separate coax. My question is, what will my best bet be for an antenna? And does the mirror mount cause a grounding nightmare? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Using an ohm meter measure the resistance from the mirror bracket to the negative side of the battery and you should see 0 ohms and if you see anything other than that you will have discovered your problem.

4. shanec

shanec Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2014
    Lagrange Ga
    Good luck with the Cascadia my friend I'm in a 2014 running a galaxy dx88 good military grade coax mirror mount screw In stud perch and a monkey made Antena with the 22 inch base designed for the Cascadia and I also have a ground wire running to my Antena bracket ,everything peaked and tuned to the max professionally the checked by another shop as a second opinion and I still do good to get 1 mile really frustrated with the Cascadia

5. racemaxx24

Jul 4, 2014
    East TN
    Yeah ive heard a lot of trouble stories trying to get a decent CB setup in a Cascadia, even from other drivers at my company. I'm not looking for anything super but just a function setup I can hear well on and be heard decently

6. Tricky Rick

Tricky Rick Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Northwest Mississippi
    get a 5.5 ft. francis pre tuned fiberglass antenna. use a vice grip quick mount. Put on air line slide bar on back of truck. 15-18 ft. good coax out the passenger door.. should have 3-5 mile range on properly tuned 4 watt radio. total about 50$. all the slide bars I have used were grounded. if its a sleeper truck use a bird perch on mirror passenger side.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    racemaxx24 Thanks this.
  7. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    racemaxx24 Thanks this.
  8. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    The factory wiring has several connections,(to accomodate the modular construction of the cab) and some part of a given truck working well is luck,at least those trucks with the external antennas. I drove one as a loaner that had what appeared stock and it got out well. Maybe some Maverick drivers will add to this because they need to keep it stock as company policy or so I have heard.

I have a Q-5 mount and 5 foot Firestick tunable tip and it got out better with a short Francis on the same mount in my experience. Francis is fussy about length of coax. I'm not sure of the length because I attached to the female connector of the factory to run across the headliner to the radio. It may be the equivalent of 18 feet of RG58.

racemaxx24 Thanks this.
  9. racemaxx24

Jul 4, 2014
    East TN
    I just bought a 6' Skipshooter antenna and the 2 bolt mirror mount (didn't like the idea of such a long antenna on just one little bar/bolt mount), and 18' of RG8X coax. Most of our other Cascadia guys use a similar setup so it must work decent.

Side note, anyone know there's a replacement overhead facepiece/bracket available on the net? My truck didn't come with a bracket so my radio is kinda just wedged in with double sided tape and index cards at the moment lol. It works but id like to properly mount it

10. racemaxx24

Jul 4, 2014
    East TN
    And to respond to the guy above, mines a condo sleeper and we pull vans so i doubt behind the cab is a plausible option.

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  11. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I have seen a bracket the was fabricated to mount to the holes in the top of the passenger side door that are normally used to mount the downward mirror.

racemaxx24 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.