CAT C15 ACERT 475hp MXS - low boost

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by mile-high, Aug 22, 2009.

1. mile-high

mile-high Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Point well taken. New harnesses look like best idea, but it would be nice to find way to keep the oil out of the new one.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PaulE

PaulE Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Verona Wi
    One more thing,look at your CAC tube/boots clamps . diameter of spring on clamps. if they are factory their about 1/2 in dia. hold pretty good when new but fail under high boost of Acerts after a while. tested mine at about 200k looking for lost boost( 4 psi ) and at 45psi 7 of 8 were leaking. found that common procedure of most was to test # 30 psi and leaks did not show up til about 40 psi. larger dia clamp
    ( 1 in spring ) is availible at most shops. Freightliner is cheapest # 4.50 or so ea. Paccar dealers seem to be about 11.00 ea. most every Cat guy i told of this has found leaks. I know your really struggling here so trying to add eveything i can think of

blade and mile-high Thank this.
  4. PaulE

PaulE Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Verona Wi
    what about filling wire entry point with super glue?

5. mile-high

mile-high Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I have an 06 Kenworth and I have a case of super glue--don't leave home without it. Sounds like a good idea.

6. pullingtrucker

pullingtrucker Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Fostoria, Ohio
    I would try to seal up the harness with some type of gasket maker that stays flexable. Cause sooner or later someone will be disturbing the harness while the overhead gets ran which could cause a hard sealant (JB Weld, super glue, or even some epoxies) to crack and let oil weep in.

7. 05chopper

05chopper Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2008
    USA
    BTW Are you running caterpillar fuel filters sounds like you tried everything and still on the porch.

8. mile-high

mile-high Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2009
    People who ran DYNO's, etc. a week ago and said they couldn't identify problem and I'd just have to drive truck until something happened called yesterday and suggested I might need a new IVA sensor and/or wiring harnesses.

I installed new IVA sensor yesterday that immediately generated Code 95 about Intake Valve Actuation System Oil Pressure. Concerned about oil pressure, I removed valve covers and had someone start engine for a few seconds while I watched it. Oil shot out of #3-4 actuator from empty small threaded hole. Accuator's under warranty so will ask that it be replaced. Am concerned about whatever came out of the hole, where it is, and if it could do damage if not found and removed. Will ask that it be located and removed.

(#3-4 actuator had been replaced end of March 2009--while on road, had to have truck towed in for repair--found out then that there was a TS Letter about replacing bolts and studs for rocker arm shafts and valve actuators because they could break and damage the engine. There were studs and bolts broken off, the rocker arm shaft was broken and #3-4 actuator was broken so they replaced bolts, studs, rocker arm shafts, and #3-4 valve actuator assembly then.)

Have missed three loads and am hoping that this gets resolved and truck can get to work.

9. Jas

Jas Medium Load Member

That would be an oil gallery plug missing, I have seen that may times with jake gallery plugs, they dont do any damage, they find their way to the sump and usually end up stuck to one of the magnetic plugs.

mile-high Thanks this.
  10. mile-high

mile-high Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Took truck in yesterday to get 3-4 actuator repaired or replaced. Turned out that there were 2 bleed screws missing from 3-4 actuator. They replaced the 2 screws.
    Drove truck and made a hard stop to test boost and got a Code 94-non-responsive 5-6 actuator. Went back to have that checked and they found that solenoids on 5-6 were bad and they replaced those. Ran another cut-out test and all actuators were OK.
    Truck is running fine with good boost at this altitude.

11. mile-high

mile-high Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2009
    For everybody who took interest in my problem, I appreciated your time and the thought that you put into it. I know everybody has a living to make and it means a lot to me that you would take time from your free time to help me with my problem. It was great help.

Last Saturday, I was at a loss after being told they couldn't tell me what was wrong after running numerous tests and to just drive the truck until something showed up. I heavy haul and the truck would have been a road hazard. If it hadn't been for the information and analysis that I got from you guys, I would have been at a complete loss as to where to go. That information pointed me in the right direction and through a slow-learning curve I finally figured out what the big problem was and a number of other things that needed attention.

Thank you and I'll pay attention to the site to see if I can ever return the favor and also pickup more knowledge. This seems to be one of the few places we can get the information we all need. Thank you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.