CAT MXS ACERT Overheat

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by JDHIGGINS44, Jun 29, 2015.

1. JDHIGGINS44

JDHIGGINS44 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Waynesburg, PA
    Hello, I have a 2007 International with a Cat MXS ACERT Motor in it. We had an engine overheat on it a couple weeks ago and cracked the head and took out the head gasket. We had a local shop who has always done good trustworthy work put on a new head gasket and head. Also previous to this all within the last 2 months we have put in new thermostats, fan clutch and a reman cat water pump. After having all this done and bringing the truck back for a test run it continues too overheat on long pulls. We thought possibly the gauge or sending unit was out considering the gauge would jump and spike all of a sudden but after replacing both of those it still isn't the case. Any ideas? At 80,000 on approximately a mile long pull it slowly rose to 230 then hit 260 within seconds before us shutting it down. This also was with the fan on manual to begin. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. average joe

average joe Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2009
  4. average joe

average joe Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Radiator, hose collapsing, something blocking the airflow, loose fan belt bad fan clutch. Take your pick

5. JDHIGGINS44

Jun 29, 2015
    Waynesburg, PA
    When you say the radiator assuming I pull the lines off the top and bottom and put a hose directly in the top and water is flowing through as fast as I put it in what more is there to check from that standpoint? I will investigate the hoses themselves for possible collapse soon as the truck makes it to the shop. I also do not believe the fan clutch is bad or that the belt is slipping but I will check them again. Is there a specific way to check the radiator itself? Thank you in advance

6. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Radiator and/or CAC may be clogged. Probably never been cleaned and full of bugs and road grime.

7. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    CK. coolant flow thru oil cooler also, it can get to where coolant cant .

8. JDHIGGINS44

Jun 29, 2015
    Waynesburg, PA
    Is there a way or port to check pressure of the water pump? I am open to anything at this radiator and CAC have been thoroughly clean and are not plugged with debris. Both radiator hoses are warm and the radiator itself feels to be a uniform temperature. I have verified gauge readings with CAT ET also.

9. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    check and see if water pump propeller is sliping on shaft. that may have what caused it to over heat in the first place. you will have to remove water pump to see.

10. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    What's the hp set at? Stock Cat file? These Acerts will heat up fast because of the amount of boost.

Also, what was the ambient temperature when it gets hot?

11. sshewins

sshewins Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I put a 4 row core radiator in my T6 to help keep it cool. Still overheats on long hard pulls. Have you checked any codes it might be throwing? I had a coolant diverter valve code come up. Changed the coil around the post/stud, but it was still throwing the code for it. Guess the actual valve needs replacing. Not sure what the diverter does, but it's behind/under the front turbo, sooo, it's gonna be a while before I get to it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.