Cat to Detroit engine swap

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Mustangjoey, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Mustangjoey

Mustangjoey Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2011
    Rockford, IL
    Hey guys, I've got a lead on a 95 Pete 378 for a REALLY good price. ($3500) Motor is shot and I have no interest in the super 10 transmission in it. So I'm looking at it as pretty much a glider. Clean truck, dual stacks, etc.
    The blown motor that was in it was a c12 which I have no interest in rebuilding. However, I have a 1994 Volvo daycab sitting around with a healthy Detroit 60 series and 8LL transmission in it. The truck itself is very rough and not worth saving. So when I saw an opportunity to do this swap I thought I'd jump on it and just scrap the old Volvo. I just had some questions for the experts....

Has anyone ever done this swap? Am I wasting my time doing this? I have more than one truck, so it's not taking away from any work. Curious what issues I may run into, besides, motor mounts, radiator, exhaust, and drive shaft? Any input appreciated. Thanks guys!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    What year is the Detroit ? Is it a 94 or was the motor swapped in the Volvo. I've never personally done a swap like that, usually I stick with caterpillar but your not gonna run into anything you can't handle. Mounting will most likely be biggest hurdle.

Mustangjoey Thanks this.
  4. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    I did engine and tranny swaps.

Usually when u start u do not know about all mods u have to do, like wiring, DS lenth, some ECM programming detales, hoses, charge lines, fuel lines..... air lines..

Mustangjoey Thanks this.
  5. Mustangjoey

Mustangjoey Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2011
    Rockford, IL
    Largecar, the Detroit is a 94 and the c12 is a 95. So at least they are close in age. Probably the only thing close between the two. Haha.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.