Caterpillar engine breather

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by sandman1976, Aug 31, 2015.

1. sandman1976

sandman1976 Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2009
    burgaw,nc
    Is there a filter behind the plate that the primary fuel filter house bolts to? If so how often should it be changed?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    A metal screen. Remove it from the cannister and clean it every time you pm your truck. It doesn't need replacing as long as the screen isn't damaged should basically last forever. There is a small rubber gasket where the cannister seats. Make sure you hold the cannister firmly in place as you are loosening/tightening it or you risk cutting that seal. If you get a pm done anywhere they normally install a new one of those rubber seals. I haven't replaced mine in years. Suppose at some point I should just because it might crack and cause it to suck air.

4. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    dont need to clean it everytime you pm. maybe once a year. or just gut it (pull the brillo pad lookin stuff out.) and cap the end and install a valve cover breather.

5. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Mine doesn't have brillo pad stuff in it. He may have have a different setup on primary than me. I thought it was just routine to clean it every pm I never knew they could go so long. Not a big deal to clean takes about 5 minutes.

6. Superhauler

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    what is it empty? (just an empty box) if it is then it has degraded and blown out then. there is a plate riveted on the inside the brillo is behind that plate. there has been a lot of engines overhauled because that breather gets saturated with oil and makes it look like a lot of blowby.

7. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I guess I need to post up a pic of my primary fuel filter. It doesn't sound anything like what you are describing. It's just a metal cannister shaped like an ordinary fuel filter. There is a cylindrical screen that's dropped down inside of it. There is a 15/16's bolt head on the top side of it for removal/installation. I don't know what/where any of this brillo stiff is on my rig???

8. Superhauler

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    to see that plate you have to have the breather box off the engine to see it. that is what im saying. I take them off and cut the rivet's off to remove the brillo material then I weld a plug on the orifice where the blowby hose fits. and install a valve cover breather. unless your talking about the acert breather canisters.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  9. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I totally misunderstood what OP was asking in the first place. My primary fuel filter is mounted on the truck frame.

10. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I'd like to see a pic of what you guys are talking about I have no idea. I should have not even commented in the thread.

11. Superhauler

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    actually we both kinda misunderstood! I am thinking about the secondary filter that mounts on the engine with the primerpump. the older e-models have a breather behind there. I thought that is what he was asking about.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.