Cb antenna for dummys!!!

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by craig_sez, Sep 18, 2016.

1. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Last night when i was playin with my rig master analyzer..I could see i had capacitance and tons of it..Depending on my antenna setting i was trying it would go from 850ish PF to several thou PF....
    On another note I have been told and saw in print that the resistance # should be 50ohm guve or take..Now earlier today i saw on a site somewhere that ideal was 25 ohm..Lowest i seen on my mfj/rig master was 39 ohm..
    Now in resonce my mfj doesnt go below zero but my rig master shows a negitive #.......MORE to confuse is as to how much is enough or to much...
    Not that i know much but i wish i could erase everything i thought i learned and start fresh again,this time doing it the right way the 1st time..
    Rigmaster supplys some software with the analyzer,ill play with that when home and see if that sheds any light..

rabbiporkchop and bored silly Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    You should go back to the store where you got your wife and see if you can get your money back. Then you could buy more antennas.

Neverready, bored silly and delta5 Thank this.
  4. delta5

delta5 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Ohio
    The Cascadia and a few others are all suffering from the same problem, lack of sheet metal in the doors and body. No sheet metal means little to no ground plane. I have actually spoken to a Wilson antenna engineer and they are well aware of the problem. Problem is that most of the antennas for sale right now were made for trucks with ground plane metal. Running a ground wire straight to the frame from the antenna mount doesn't work, the ground wire becomes the radiator. The shield of the coax and the metal of the mount, (that plastic washer separates the antenna and center conductor from the shield ground plane). There is no easy answer to this problem, you just have figure out a way to provide some metal..

handlebar Thanks this.
  5. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    On a Cascadia??

6. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    So your company won't let you use the mirror mount?

Attached Files:

7. Ougigoug

Ougigoug Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Planet earth
    Nope FLD120

8. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    I have a mirror mount..Some of the other options that were supplied my company doesnt want me doin..

Attached Files:

9. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    I know and i have seen a few options but those options were ment for mirrors with more braces than on the crapcadias....
    As for the ground plane issue,it suddenly hit me..Wonder how a ngp kit will work..What ant and options are out there for it that are compareable to the normal ant..

10. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Looked at a couple of websites that sell the Firestick NGP system, and the only available antenna length was 3' and 4' , guess that would work on the passenger side spot mirror mount.

11. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Does anyone know exactly what kind of antenna Freightliner integrated into the cab? Is it possibly a dipole or some type of coil, regardless of type wouldnt the antenna require adequate ground plane to be effective, so basically it was destined to fail from its inception.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.