CB noise

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Kenny Simmons, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Kenny Simmons

Kenny Simmons Bobtail Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Deville. LA
    I will let you know how it works. This noise issue has really tested my patience.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BUZZSAW

BUZZSAW Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Kenny,
    I responded to a post of yours (on a similar topic) . Then I found this....This one answers all my questions & I see that you are certainly NO ROOKIE !!!! Please post back if this fixes your problem . THANKS

4. ka3vvv

ka3vvv Bobtail Member

May 31, 2008
    sharon hill
    I have the same problem with a Cat 3406 E I need to get some of them ferrites. My problem are on 10m 20m 40m & 80m. I would like to know how you made out with the problem.

5. kd5drx

kd5drx <strong>Master of Electronic Communications</stron

Nov 28, 2006
    Some where USA
    If the ones you get don't work make sure you check the composition on them there are many different compounds used in ferrite beads as we call them. And some times it take 2 or three times of trying before you get the right mix of copper brass and iron to make a difference. I had the same problem with a Detroit series 60 and it took 6 on the injector leads and several more on the alternator and some more on the gauge wires to keep the RF out of the gauges when i turned on the amp the speed o would peg out. Trial and error on these things is what it takes and a lot of patience so keep plugging away you will get it eventually and say #### that was simple.

n4mgr Thanks this.
  6. hank82

hank82 Bobtail Member

May 23, 2012
    thomasville nc
    I have the same iidentical problem with a 387 also. Can't kind the the problem at all. Some help would be great

7. vintech

vintech Light Load Member

May 30, 2010
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Make an RFI locator out of a walkie talkie.[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I know this is not for everyone but if there is anyone out there in the business of helping truckers with noise issues it can be real handy in helping to identify the source of the noise when the antenna is what seems to be what is picking it up.. This will work for all kinds of noise locating from mobiles, trucks, cars and homes![/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]THINGS TO REMEMBER:[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Also remember that you can be fooled into thinking the antenna is the sole source of the noise so make sure you remove the antenna and leave the coax connected to the mounts and the radio just be sure there is no groundlooping issues that could cause noise induction..when you do this turn the volume wide open and make sure there is no squelching and the RF gain is wide open... also see if the noise is channel specific sometimes things like inverters and inverter circuits will show different levels of noise on different channels..[/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]A CHEAP INSTRUMENT YOU CAN MAKE.[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I have had great success in finding noise issues in trucks over the years by using a walkie talkie I modified for the purpose..[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I know this is not for everyone but some may find it handy if they are in the business. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I found a walkie talkie with all 40 channels at a garage sale for 50 cents as it did not work.. fixed it and modified the antenna by converting it over to aBNC connector this allowed me to make a coaxial probe by using a 3 foot dowel rod that I attached the coax to so I could probe into the engine compartment without crawling into it.. on the end of this coaxial probe I would use about 1 inch of exposed center conductor just enough that you would have to get real close to the noise source to make the walkie talkie able to hear it.. use headphones That fully cover the ear to cancel out as much back ground engine noise as possible..[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I later modified it with an s-meter so I could see the changes as well as hear them,..[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

8. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    i have an inverter, when its on, the cb has more static

even if nothing is plugged in

so i rigged a cut off switch that keeps the inverter on until something intelligent comes across the cb, then i flick off the switch so i can hear more clearly

when i had a cobra inverter, if i drove by your truck, the inverter would increase the static noise of your cb

i have a SIMA now, much less noise, but still noise, nevertheless

9. hank82

hank82 Bobtail Member

May 23, 2012
    thomasville nc
    I really fill that its is the electronic piece that's connected to the accelerator that sends signal to the computer for more fuel

10. Luwi67

Luwi67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Long island
    I read the correct bead for mobile applications is mix31

11. vintech

vintech Light Load Member

May 30, 2010
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.