CB radio ban

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Licensed to kill, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    It's the recent change in government I'd wager.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. qstaffenthree

qstaffenthree Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    I've seen this article pop up so much recently, but no one has mentioned that it is from 2010....

Dye Guardian Thanks this.
  4. Snoopycda

Snoopycda Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Edmonton Ab.
    Holy crap, your right!
    Getting my panties unbunched as we speak.

Pullin2 Thanks this.
  5. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Whoville Pub, Long Island

Snoopycda Thanks this.
  6. jeeper01ca

jeeper01ca Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Montreal
    Two different drivers in the province of Quebec got tickets for using the cb radio and the fine was over $200.
    One guy planning to pay it, because he ends up making more per day than wasting the day to go fight it at the court.

In the other hand, I'm planning to purchase myself a cb, because that's what we need on the road when we don't know what's going around 2 km ahead of us

7. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Not sure but I wished I had stocked up on it while I was in Calgary... just my luck.

8. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I doubt they were ticketed (solely) for using a CB.

"No person may, while driving a road vehicle, use a hand-held device that includes a telephone function. […]"

Exceptions
    The prohibition from holding a hand-held device that includes a telephone function does not apply to:
    • a two-way radio, that is, a device that does not allow the parties to speak simultaneously—also known as a walkie-talkie, mobile transceiver, two-way portable radio or two-way transceiver.
    https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/road-saf...ctions/cell-phones-texting/what-the-law-says/

Even more unlikely if, as you say, they were fined over $200.

Penalties
    Using a cell phone while driving or handling it in any way automatically leads to:
    • an $80 to $100 fine
    • 4 demerit points

9. jeeper01ca

jeeper01ca Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Montreal
    I didn't do the search, but it was over Facebook and even on the page "l'heure juste du camionneur"

Thank you for sharing legal facts

10. Johnny R

Johnny R Light Load Member

May 25, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Well, it's correct that the regulation was put in place well before the NDP took over. In any case, I ride a GoldWing. The CB radio is not hand held, the headphones are attached to the inside of the helmet, and the PTT is just finger operated without lifting hands from the handlebar. No harder than selecting a radio station. I really enjoy talking to truckers (those who are willing, anyway) while I'm on one of my cross Canada trips. You're a good bunch.

Pullin2 Thanks this.
  11. Phantom Trucker

Phantom Trucker Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    Are pilot vehicles exempt from this ruling? If not, what's the sense of even having them if they can't relay anything back to the guy with the oversized load.

Pullin2 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.