CB vs cell phone vs bluetooth

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by freightwipper, May 29, 2016.

1. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    We cant be on our cell phone and driving.. thats a "distraction".
    Many companies are now moving to expanding that to no phones even through using a bluetooth.. because "talking is a distraction".

Okay soooo if all that is true how come I've yet to here rules against using a CB radio?
    If talking even through using a bluetooth is a "distraction" how come using a CB radio is fine to use and have conversations with while driving?
    Yet to hear companies go off saying "no CB and driving".
    Is all this really about saving us from "distraction" or from lawyers that get you for using a cell phone where as there's no track record of talking on a CB and driving?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I agree the CB is as much of a distraction as talking on a cell phone, but nattering on the CB and alerting your running buddies of upcoming dangers I find to be more beneficial than a cell phone conversation.

I'll admit - I can't talk on the phone and drive if it's anything less than a straight section of interstate and light or no traffic.

Oxbow and CrappieJunkie Thank this.
  4. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Phone conversation always takes lowest priority. Although it raises the question of handheld CBs? Or would I have to use a mic with it?

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I will never accept or make any phone call unless I'm out on the open interstate. Hands-free or not, to me the mental engagement in the conversation is the distraction more then the physical manipulating the phone or headset.

I don't see how people can carry on lengthy conversations in heavy metro traffic like some do. They say they do just fine ... I doubt they are doing as good as they think they are.

6. dngrous_dime

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    What cracks me up is seeing police using handheld phones and their laptops...

7. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Point of this isnt about talking on a cell phone.. its that if we cant talk on cell phones even with bluetooth how come its "A OKAY" to talk endlessly on a CB radio?
    Thats is as much of a distraction as using a cell phone.

Begs the question if all these rules is really about keeping us safe or something else

8. dngrous_dime

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    In that case, why are we required to wear a seatbelt, whereas motorcyclists don't even have to wear a helmet in many states? Revenue generation, as well as lack of common sense by lawmakers.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  9. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    My phone goes through my cobra Bluetooth CB. Two birds with one stone. Push one button answer or call the last number you called.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Unless you are running with someone conversations only last a couple of minutes. Before blue tooth and even now, I will and have dropped the phone in the middle of a conversation because of what happens in front of me.

I have to ask people to repeat themselves because I tend to concentrate more on driving than the conversation.

JReding, Chewy352, ChaoSS and 3 others Thank this.
  11. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.