CDL benefit for Non Driver jobs in ND or Tex ?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by pros80, Mar 24, 2013.

1. pros80

pros80 Bobtail Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok so I'm in the process of finishing up CDL school. One thing I've been seeing online is that many of the jobs in the oil field require a CDL, but you don't really do much driving. Will a CDL or driving experience come handy for non driver jobs in the Oil Patch?

From what I read a non driver job in the field requiring a CDL can be more steady at the moment. I keep reading that having a CDL will be open up doors for different types of jobs that aren't specifically Crude or Water hauling etc in ND. I haven't seen much about the CDL being needed for non driver jobs in Texas. but I assume it will help in getting a job in Texas.

Anyone have any insights into this?

2. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    Another good place you can look for great paying and steady cdl jobs that don't require 100% driving would be railroads and utility companies. Railroad signalmen need a CDL to operate the service trucks, and utility linemen and substation engineers also need a CDL to operate the equipment on the highways.

3. BrianE

BrianE Light Load Member

Thanks Received:
    The CDL for these types of jobs is just in case they need you to move a truck and it is to satisfy their insurance company. Some might use you to fill in and drive once in awhile also.

4. d o g

d o g Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Much of the work in the oilfield requires a large number of trucks to move the equipment to a location and to return it when finished. Having the CDL will make you a more valuable member of any team.

You can see how many CDL-holders that Halliburton would need on this location:

[​IMG]