CDL by intimidation....the rest of the story.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Original Bender, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Original Bender

Original Bender Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2015
    New here, not new to CDL but kinda am.... I will explain.

18 years ago I started in dirt work construction, roads, buildings, rock crushing... I am/was a heavy equipment operator. From skid steers to scrapers, dozers and blades. If there was a doctorate in dirt work. I would have it. Fast forward to 2012. I have "operated" dump trucks, water trucks, belly dumps on jobs for years, never on a public road though... My current boss/company owner promotes me to superintendent and begs/threatens me to get my CDL so I can move the plants and equipment. I don't really want to........ you see, in dirt construction if a company sees you have a CDL you get pulled out of the yellow iron (dozer, trac-hoe, etc...) and put in a dump truck or water truck never to see the sandbox again..... So operators are very hesitant to get a CDL..... So anyway, I give in and get my CDL. Good. My very first load on my own was a D-8 dozer on a low boy 90 miles from town!! Over width and over weight! (Self issue permits here in WY) load goes well. No biggie. I go on to pull screen plants an crushers weighing in at 170k plus!! Up hoosier pass in Co!!

Years go by, work is good, 80-90 hrs a week.....Until I get laid off, my pit I was managing is loosing its permit and lease... I am major bummed..... I was no 3. In the small company with a company truck, keys and credit cards. Life happens....... Very depressed...

My aunt runs a trucking company so I call them up to see if I can try it out... I don't want to give it away, but after training and additional licensing, I have my own truck (company) name my own schedule, and just worry about myself and my truck... Have a dedicated route, averaging just over 3300 mi a week, make WAY more $$$ than when I was a pit super... I sleep in, eat good, see my family way more.... And the thing is..... I am mad,

I am mad at myself for not being here 10 years ago......I do miss running a blade or a dozer.... But I don't miss 5 am mornings to midnight work days....and being away from home for 30 days with no days off.....

One last gripe?? Will you fleet box vans going 62 move over? ? I hate turning off my cruise from 76 mph.....

Bender.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    MJ1657 and pattyj Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    No way.. Cruz stays where it at.. don't like it .. move over

4. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    Some are just slow to catch on to what they have been missing,;), glad your happy now.
    Did similar thing in road construction back in early 70's. Left and never looked back.

SLOW TRAFFIC MOVE TO RIGHT LANE, IT IS THE LAW IN SOME STATES SHOULD BE IN ALL STATES FIRST VIOLATION $1000 FINE SECOND VIOLATION LOSE OF CDL.

5. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
  6. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    tumblr_m4vco3ncid1rpbhmao1_500.gif

Noticed your avatar

Original Bender Thanks this.
  7. Original Bender

Original Bender Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2015
    He kinda looks like me. And I have a weird sense of humor. I call it ZFG humor.

dca Thanks this.
  8. HeWhoMustNotBeNamed

HeWhoMustNotBeNamed Crusty Pogosticker!!

Jan 25, 2012
    Cartoon Network
    looks like someone has an issue with that name ... [​IMG]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.