CDL endorsement questions, and advice on Swift.

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Asoggypancake, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Asoggypancake

Asoggypancake Bobtail Member

Jun 8, 2015
    So today I finally got my Class A CDL permit, after a second try unfortunately. I still have to get a D.O.T. physical and a police report from a motorcycle accident i had about a year and a half ago; then its off to Swift for training. I wanted to know if you had to have your actual CDL before you can take the endorsement test (Hazmat, Tanker, Double/Triples) or if I could just go in and get the endorsements. Also I wanted to hear about your guy's experiences with Swift, just to get a little more info on them. It would also be great if you guys could give me some tips on the driving test and upgrading to a company driver. Thanks for whatever info you guys can offer.

Nameless One Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    It depends on the state. I know some you can take the tests, but they will not show up until you get a full license.

My advice for swift- don't lease. Get on a walmart account.

Asoggypancake Thanks this.
  4. Asoggypancake

Asoggypancake Bobtail Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Sorry i forgot to add that im from georgia. Thanks for the info tho

5. Nameless One

Nameless One Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2015
    What makes Walmart accounts so great? I did it for one load until I found out we get paid less for just abut everything (20 dollar stop pay).

And besides, if you get on an account without a mini Swift terminal there, good luck using the Walmart provided showers. Ha. Your good enough to pull there freight on the dedicated account, but not good enough to use their facilities. And you can't park at the DC at night either.

shannaj82 Thanks this.
  6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I've helped out on Walmart accounts before.
    I'll do everything to avoid it now. I've never had a good experience or made any kind of money 'helping' them.

Nameless One Thanks this.
  7. Nameless One

Nameless One Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2015
    I have hazmat and all endorsements. I would recommend just getting your class a, get through training and on your way to solo status. All the endorsements you can get over time. Why stress yourself even more right now? After all, I've been with Swift for 7 years and only pulled maybe 10 hazmat loads. The extra pay isn't really worth it.

I've pulled a pup trailer but never two of them. Swift has the Rocky Mountain double out of Denver, but not many. Swift is into 53's mostly.

I also have my passenger endorsement. I don't really need it, but why not get it. It makes me feel special.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, get on solo status first and then get hazmat. Swift will reimburse the expenses for it. The cost of endorsement and background, fingerprint check.

GWS Thanks this.
  8. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    I agree if you don't really need it just stay with the basics unless you think you can pass the test i know when i took the test for the first time in TX i got all the endorsements done on the same day but then i'm a clever dude. ;)

9. quitran828

quitran828 Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2022
    Late response but, here in Florida you can take all endorsement tests (T,P,N,H) when you have a permit; the tests are filed onto your dmv profile, and expires in one year , if you still don’t have your CDL, or if you didn’t paid to get your licensed endorsed. The wise thing to do is to estimate approximately the date you will pass trucking school, and take the endorsement tests with a year from that date.

WallyWallyWorld Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.