CDL license

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JD56, May 26, 2015.

1. JD56

JD56 Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2012
    NJ
    The CDL license is a national license?

If a person moving from NY to CA will need to go through CDL training again for the state they are moving to?

States have different demands/requirements?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FuzzFace2

FuzzFace2 Medium Load Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Angier, N.C.
    Kind of as the fed gov keeps track of it all but each state gives the CDL out.

Now what are you calling training? take a written and/or driving test over again?
    From what I have seen posted yes each state is different. TO find out what is needed in the new state it is best to call that to find out.

I just moved from CT to N.C. and when I called they told me to bring up to date med card, CDL and 2 forms of ID with your FULL NAME on at least 1 ID. I would only need to pay for the license and all the endorsements I had on my CT CDL for the N.C. CDL.

Well they were part right, I had "M" endorsement besides everything but "P" on my CDL and I had to take a computer test for the "M" to have that added to my N.C. CDL other wise yes just pay for the license/endorsements.
    Again check with the state you want to move to.
    Good luck
    Dave ----

4. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Once you get your CDL, you can transfer from state to state without having to go through CDL school again. You may have to redo the Hazmat, if you have it, but otherwise you just fill out a form, surrender your present license and pay some $$.

5. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    except for Illinois where you have to pass a driving test again

last year moving from NJ to WI was as easy as handing in my NJ
    license and getting back a WI one
    oh and there was a money exchange from me to themo_O

6. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    And I bet you paid handsomely for that, too (although a CDL probably isn't particularly cheap in CT, either, I would guess).
    I remember... renewing in Oct 2010, it cost me $220 for my CDL and two endorsements... I dropped hazmat, because I saw no point in paying an additional $94 for an endorsement I never used, and wouldn't have a problem getting again if need be. Even for an eight year license, I found it pretty steep.
    Transferred it to a Colorado five year license the next year, paid $35.

7. Knucklehead619

Knucklehead619 Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Flyover Country
    If you have a CDL from another state and want to transfer to CA you can as long as your CDL is still current. No road test required but you will have to redo ALL of the written tests. Also, CA now has their own form for your DOT physical... you'll need to either get a new physical with their form (in addition to the standard DOT physical form) or get whoever did your last one to fill out the CA one with the same dates. As I recall the whole process cost me around 50 bucks when I moved from WA to CA a few years back.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.