CDL "Training hours"

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Enovvy, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Enovvy

Enovvy Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Howdy folks...

So I have a good question....

Does anyone know if the 'required hours' you complete at a carrier training school will transfer to the next training school you go to? Or will I be continually accumulating hours until I obtain my CDL ??

Thanks in advance for the insight.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sdpetheram

sdpetheram Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2013
  4. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Why do you plan on continually transferring to multiple schools with out completing the program? It would be much easier just to get it done at one school

ajohnson and TequilaSunrise Thank this.
  5. Tony_N

Tony_N Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Warner Robins, GA
    I have the same question as 8thnote. but to be honest I would highly doubt it. Each school is a little different on the hours you want to complete. I normally tell people to bite the bullet and head to your local community college and go through a CDL program that way. There are plenty of fed and state grants to allow this to happen and this keeps you from having to sign a 1 year contract with most of these places for a school that really doesn't teach you what you need to know. I say this as a trainer for many of these students that come out of these school who cant tell there figure out the difference from there ### to a hole in the ground.

Enovvy Thanks this.
  6. TequilaSunrise

TequilaSunrise Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Seattle, WA
    I don't think it works that way. At our school, they only give you a transcript if you graduate and pass your CDL driving test.

Each certified school is responsible for the required hours.

A couple people tested for their license before the required hours were complete and they came back to the campus to finish whatever hours they lacked.

Backing, driving, or observation...

Enovvy Thanks this.
  7. Charlie Mac

Charlie Mac Ears On, Hammer Down

Dec 29, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I thought training hours were on a State-by-State basis? Hell, in Indiana you can get a permit & train however you choose. Gotta buddy who is an O/O? Go on the road with him. Once you are confident you can pass the skills test you can rent the equipment to take the test for $125.00.

Total cost:$17+$125+$36=$178.00

Enovvy and TequilaSunrise Thank this.
  8. TequilaSunrise

TequilaSunrise Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Seattle, WA
    They are... State mandated.

9. Enovvy

Enovvy Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Thats an awesome idea....

I thanks for reminding me about State by State requirements... I'll check with my state and see..

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  10. Enovvy

Enovvy Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Thanks for the post Tony. Unfortunately they don't offer a CDL program at our Community College anymore....but I'm currently looking at similar options that could be tuition free

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.