CDL Waiver

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Corn89, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Corn89

Corn89 Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Wallace, NC
    I got a question. What companies will hire you without schooling? Say if I get my CDL's with a waiver through the Army. It would be stating that I wouldn't have to take the skills test, just take the written one. Just curious.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    That's how I got my CDL. No school. Practiced 7 hour driving bobtail. One 300 mile trip with a mobile home (52'x14'x14'6) with my probationary. 2 days later took skill test. Passed and been going since. Good luck and thank you for your service.

Corn89 Thanks this.
  4. Corn89

Corn89 Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Wallace, NC
    Thanks but do many companies hire you without school?

5. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    How much driving experience do you have, will be their first question. IF you have your CDL someone will hire you.
    When I got my CDL with this job. I have never filled out a job application.
    I don't know "who" will but I'm sure someone will.

Corn89 and RoadRooster Thank this.
  6. purpleprime

purpleprime Medium Load Member

May 30, 2013
    spickard, mo
    I believe you have it backwards though I believe you get to skip the written part and get your permit but you do have to take the skills portion to get liscence

Corn89 Thanks this.
  7. Corn89

Corn89 Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Wallace, NC
  8. purpleprime

purpleprime Medium Load Member

May 30, 2013
    spickard, mo
    Corn89 Thanks this.
  9. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Go to a school anyways using GI bill and get a License then get on with a company that reimburses you that money.

Corn89 Thanks this.
  10. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Tell them you have experience through the military. Be careful because some companies do not recognize military experience as the same as OTR. And most of the time they are right. Driving on base is not the same as OTR. If that's all you did while in the service and drove all over then tell them the type of truck and the type of driving. Stay away from military designations and stick with the size, 20 ton tractor instead of something like M19 and so on. Be honest and you'll find out most want your service experience if you're qualified.

Corn89 and brian991219 Thank this.
  11. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    For sure go to school if it's offered. However, if a job is there go to work. You'll get the experience needed by doing the job. Once you're there for a year or two school it will not matter. Later on they want to know your experience on the job not where you went to school. In fact, I'd be surprised if they even asked after you have been driven for awhile. It may be different now but I was never asked where I went to school. They were more interested on my job experience and what I have driving. Just saying do not let it hold you back. If it's available go to it. Some drivers will say it's mandatory and it is not. It may be for that company because of their company policy but I know of no law that says you must go to school before you drive a truck.

Corn89 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.