Celadon: What kind of runs would I be making?

Discussion in 'Celadon' started by Rawesome, Jul 1, 2013.

1. northoceanbeach

northoceanbeach Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2007
    What is the process like going into and out of Canada in a semi? I just got my passport. Is it quick like a border checkpoint coming out of Laredo? Or do the search your truck and trailer and make you jump through alot of hoops. Is there alot of traffic? It sounds fun if its a streamlined process, but if your inching slowly in line for three hours each way not so much. Which way is faster, in or out?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sequoia

Sequoia Road Train Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Which way is faster? It honestly depends where you're crossing. I've seen customs at Windsor backed up all the way over the bridge to Detroit. On the other hand, I've seen US customs in Blaine WA backed up to where they were using all 6 staging lanes. Other places you cross aren't as bad, like Thousand Islands or Champlain NY. Buffalo is hit or miss.

Is it quick like a border checkpoint? No. Well, if you're using FAST, yes. If you're crossing with any other method, no.
    Do they search your truck and trailer? Only if you put down the wrong trailer # in your paperwork. I found this out the hard way...

It sounds fun? It's not, really. It's a pain in the (butt) which explains the extra $20 they give you for border crossings: it's to put up with the hassles of Customs officers, going through VACIS, possibly parking the truck nearby and having to walk in and pay the $10.75 fee for not having a transponder. I haven't even touched on the actual border processing paperwork process and sitting around and a truck stop waiting for customs to clear the load and shooting you a message when you're allowed to approach the border (don't go early!).

..and sending faxes isn't cheap either, in US or Canadian $$. Oh sure some places you pick up from have a fax machine you can use but not all of them do!

northoceanbeach Thanks this.
  4. northoceanbeach

northoceanbeach Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2007
    You're right, I meant it sounds fun to be driving in Canada, seeing new places. The crossing part sounds like a hassle. Major hassle.

So when you are on your way to Canada, say you're crossing at Windsor, you fax your papers in from Gary IN. Hopefully by the time you get to the border they have called your cell phone to let you know if safe to approach, otherwise you park at a truckstop nearby and wait.

I suppose it was wishful thinking to think it was like the border checkpoints, where you hand the papers out the window and they wave you through.

5. Sequoia

Sequoia Road Train Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Well I'm sure it used to be less of a painstaking process....before 9/11.

The chance of customs approving your load and giving you clearance between Gary and Detroit are pretty slim. Now let's say if you were coming from further south, there is a decent chance that by the time you get to Monroe MI your load has cleared and the next step would be parking at a truck stop for a few minutes and having dispatch fax over your ACI, which is a simple piece of paper but it has the info customs needs and that would be the only piece of paper you hand over to customs at the border (along with your passport). They scan the barcode and do some keyboard tapping on their end, ask you a few simple questions, stamp it and send you on your way. This is assuming you're crossing with PARS.

As far as driving in Canada and seeing new places, yes, it is fun!

6. roadhammer123

roadhammer123 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Springfield, Ma. area
    trying to get some info on avg. length of haul and what kund of frieght. also has any one done Celadons lease program how is this company

7. haulnoats

haulnoats Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2016
    [/QUOTE]
    is it forced dispatch to canada?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.