cell options or internet for Canadians in US

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by skman, May 8, 2015.

1. Brucesmith

Brucesmith Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Keep in mind that some of the above options do not state which carrier is providing your US Roaming. I know that Rogers uses both ATT and Verizon. These 2 have the most complete coverage in the USA. The Rogers plan is probably the best if you need lots of US coverage. You get unlimited talk and text and 5 gb of data for $65. Your US plan is the same for $5 a day when using the phone in the USA. You are only charged the $5 when using the phone. Being as most of us are not in the USA every day that is a good price. It is seamless and you have only one phone number. Plus if you have a laptop Rogers will let you tether to your phone. You can also text to Canada. If all you need is US phone service then Tracfone is a good choice. You buy your minutes in advance and some of their phones run on Verizon. Since the Co. I was working for went to Qualcom I find I do not use my phone that much. Dispatch will message via he Qualcom. But often one needs to call the Rcvr. or shipper.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kfzr2

kfzr2 Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2014
    I used roam mobility when i used to do can/usa runs. It's specifically made for Canadians who travel state side alot.

https://www.roammobility.com/

They have day plans and "snow bird" plans which are the monthly ones. There's no contracts and they're really good prices for what they offer. I think they have a coverage map of where they cover and it might be mostly urban areas though but it's worth looking into. Just need to buy their sim card, unlock your phone and every time you cross the border just change sim cards.

4. Brucesmith

Brucesmith Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    kfzr: I looked into Roammobility but saw lots of complaints. Their Canadian coverage is horrible and they roam on something like Sprint or even worse. If you are longhaul open board nothing can beat Verizon or a carrier that uses Verizon towers. They have the best coverage in the USA. But ATT is catching up. I hate Rogers but this latest plan is actually very good. You only need one phone and one number. You can use your phone as a hotspot. Text from the USA to Canada. If you are in the USA say 20 days a month the cost is only $100 Canadian plus $65 for the regular plan. Time will tell if the whole deal is good as Rogers says. One of the only drawbacks is that if a USA shipper or Receiver is going to call you it will be long distance for them.

kfzr2 Thanks this.
  5. trucker82

trucker82 Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2013
    WIND mobile user here in Ontario.
    $60 a month, UNLIMITED everything. After taxes here its $68 a month.

UNLIMITED EVERYTHING in Canada and USA. Was a long haul flat bedder and used my phone + data plenty in the USA. Never any extra charges in the USA.

In Canada, if you are out of a WIND zone its 15 cents a minute or 5 cents a megabyte. Almost always in a WIND zone in Ontario so rarely do I have to use the phone outside of Wind ZONE.

Biggest bill ever was like $73.

Had rogers before, monthly bill was $120 to $240 a month, even with their crappy International plans on, still costs me to much.

peterd Thanks this.
  6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    How far and where do you travel and how is wind mobile service everywhere you go? I can't anger my customers because they can't get a hold of me because I wanted to save a bit on my phone bill.

7. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    I use koodo in Canada and Trac phone in the us. No problems with koodo bit when you use the Trac phone to call Canada you first have to dial a 1 800 # first then the # you are calling. Also when using the Trac phone to call Canada some cell numbers are not accessible for some reason. Another problem with Trac is a lot of dropped calls and dead zones. I have the wind mobile data stick and have lots of problems with coverage in on pq nb ns with it.

8. Canadian trucker

Canadian trucker Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    I use wind. They have a promo everyonce and a while for unlimited Canada and us for $39 a month. It has worked everywhere I have went. I added on voicemail for $8 I pay 47.00 a month I cancelled my rogers and never regretted it. save a ton of money now

9. trucker82

trucker82 Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Travelled all over Ontario and the USA, everywhere except California.

Wind worked great everywhere, again ZERO charges for using the phone in the USA that includes calls and data. Calls are crystal clear and data very fast. Wind works everywhere any provider works. Like I mentioned they have a thing called the WIND zone, you can tell if you are in WIND zone or not because if you are NOT in a WIND zone you get a big letter R beside the reception indicator. You can still make calls just fine and use data but you will be charged 15 cents a minute and 5 cents a megabyte which to me is mighty fair as the competition charges over double than that when roaming.

As a trucker most of my phone calls are 2-3 minutes MAX. Usually less than a minute really. They have been really good as a service for me, never had an issue with the phone or the billing.

The best part is, my bill is almost always $68 a month. Which is amazing considering it was double to triple that a month with rogers.

I have the HTC One M8 phone. Has some really awesome stereo speakers on the front, great for watching shows/movies when I have to wait for someone else or on break.

skman and gokiddogo Thank this.
  10. peterd

peterd Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2012
    St.Catharines ON
    I also am on Wind.I have been with them from the start.Got their $39 US package.They mostly roam on T-Mobile and AT&T in the US.You can't beat it for value in US.Data is unlimited,but throttled back a bit at 1 MB of use in US and unlimited text and 2400 minutes talk.The bigger plans have more data.I can phone home and virtually talk for hours.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  11. trucker82

trucker82 Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Yea wind is very good for the value. I have the $60 Unlimited Everything/Everywhere plan, which I beleive most of their plans are but mine includes all the extra options they provide, "super" voicemail, call id, waiting and a few other things I never use. When I run the speedtest app on the HTC One M8 and get around 2.5 -3 Mb/sec connection. I grew up o 14.k modems, right at the beginning of AOL and 'The Internet'. Speed seems fast to me now, Im sure most of can appreciate today after waiting an hour to download one song or wait a couple minutes for a picture.

skman Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.