Chain requirements heavy equipment

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Bdog, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I know on equipment over 10k you need a minimum of four chains, one on each corner. What I am unsure on is the WLL of the chain required relative to the weight of the machine.

Intuitively I would think each chain would need to have a WLL equal to at least half the weight of the machine as two chains are keeping it from moving in any direction when all four corners are secured.

I think though by law that each chain only has to be 1/4 the weight of the machine but I am not positive on this.

Can someone clarify?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Say you have a machine that weighs 12000 lbs. g70 5/16 chain has a WLL of 4700 lbs. will that work?

If all you have is 5/16 g70, and you're picking up a 40k machine, cover your mandatory 4, then cover for the weight of the machine.

4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Been a while, but I heard once that your WLL of your securement had to be 1 1/2 times the weight of the load.

5. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Tiedown requirements

• Restrain cargo using a minimum of four tiedowns, each having a WLL of at least 2,268 kg (5,000 lb.).
      • Prevents cargo movement in the side-to-side, forward, rearward, and vertical directions.
    • Attach tiedowns:
      • Either at the front and rear of the vehicle.
      • Or at the mounting points on the vehicle designed for that purpose.
    The way I read that is that 5/16 G70 chains wont work at all because they have a WLL of 4700 lbs. Is that correct?

6. skootertrashr6

skootertrashr6 Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Pueblo, Co

That is for Canada rules and regulations. 5/16 G70 is allowed in the US. On heavy equipment over 10,000lbs need to meet requirements of 4 minimum tie downs on each corner, plus additional may be required to meet the aggregate WLL requirements based on the weight of your equipment.

For FMCSA rules and regulations refer to 393.106 for WLL requirements https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/393.106

FMCSA 393.108 for how the WLL of securement devices is determined, including tables with WLL for straps, chains, rope etc...https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/393.108

FMCSA 393.130 for heavy equipment requirements https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/393.130

All of this stuff is easily accessible online and is always in your FMCSA book.

7. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    I never hauled equipment, but with loads of steel on a flatbed the requirement (in 2003, at least) was to secure so that the WLL of the chains was at least 1/2 the weight of the load. For example, a 50,000# coil required at least 4 chains since we used grade 70, 3/8 in. chains. The WLL of those chains was 6,600# so 4 X 6,600 = 26,400#, which was over half the weight of the coil. However, my company required one extra chain, so we used 5 with a big one like that.

I would think 1 at each corner will suffice as long as they are the proper grade and size to secure 1/2 the weight of the load. And don't forget using one to secure anything hydraulic like a bucket or boom that could raise up going down the road--it happens, and shuts down highways when they hit bridges. Google "chain WLL chart" to see the WLL for each grade and size.

8. CanadianVaquero

CanadianVaquero Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I thought the standards were the same? I'm pretty sure we use the same NSC Standards

9. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    I beg to differ. that's right from the fmcsa website.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulatio...ecurement-chapter-10-heavy-vehicles-equipment

10. skootertrashr6

skootertrashr6 Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Pueblo, Co
    Every link I also supplied for info was directly from the FMCSA website, including same info that is in the green fmcsa book. While the link you provided does have additional information on how to secure stuff, it is a seperate handbook, and the 5,000WLL minimum is no where mentioned in 393.106, 393.108, or 393.130

11. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Looking at the link Scootertrashr6 posted on the FMCSA website they list on 393.106:

The aggregate working load limit of tiedowns used to secure an article or group of articles against movement must be at least one-half times the weight of the article or group of articles. The aggregate working load limit is the sum of:

(1) One-half the working load limit of each tiedown that goes from an anchor point on the vehicle to an anchor point on an article of cargo;

So if I am reading this right and tieing down a large backhoe that weighs 20,000lb which has four chain attachment points (one on each corner) using a chain from each tie down on the backhoe to the trailer on the same side the sum of the WLL of my four chains would need to be 20k or greater? Thus GR70 5/16 at 4700b would be inadequate and I need GR70 3/8?

It says the sum of chains needs to have a WLL equal to at least half the weight of the machine but then it says a chain attached to only one side of the trailer only counts as half the WLL?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.