Chat with an NYT reporter about the prospect of autonomous trucks?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by fmanjoo, Sep 16, 2016.

1. fmanjoo

fmanjoo Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2016
    Hi, I'm the technology columnist at the New York Times, and I'm writing about the self-driving trucking company Otto, which was just purchased by Uber. I'm interested in chatting with a few veteran truckers about their thoughts on how automation may change the trucking business. If you're interested in chatting, let me know at farhad.manjoo@nytimes.com. Thank you.

--Farhad Manjoo
    State of the Art Columnist, New York Times

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    If it actually works, 3.5 million people will be looking for a new career. You think that will change the trucking business?

4. KriegHund

KriegHund Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2015
    On a hill south of heaven
    Just another way of the rich getting richer and the poor poorer

77fib77 and JC1971 Thank this.
  5. fmanjoo

fmanjoo Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2016
    They say you'll still need a human driver, because their tech can only work on the freeway. The way they see it working is like this: Human truck driver drives a normal shift. Then the truck takes over while you sleep. Then, on non-freeway roads, the human takes back over. They say it immediately makes your truck more productive by letting you go further even while you're not actively driving.

I'd be interested in chatting through a driver's thoughts on this kind of vision. Thanks.

6. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    Actually you will always need a driver, what do you do when the technology fails? Every self driving car has had a fatality so far, so a human is needed, if one were not needed, we would not have airline pilots. Today's aircraft have automatic landing and takoff systems, autopilot, backup systems that take over when the primary fails, yet we still have pilots for those times technology can't adjust for the varying weather and airport ground conditions.
    Linking trucks electronically sounds good, but what happens when the link fails? It happens today, you are driving down the road and the check engine light comes on and your car stops running, imagine that with 80,000 pounds rolling next to you.

KriegHund Thanks this.
  7. Longarm

Longarm Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Like hell the truck is driving while I sleep!

Not to mention, the truck can't fuel itself, much less get off the highway to a fuel stop, shipper, receiver, etc etc.

There will be a human in the driver's seat for quite some time to come regardless of autonomy. There are still way too many responsibilities a driver doesn't get paid for that s/he will still have to do while still not getting paid for.

As for TTR; the posts will change from (whimsical voice) "It's always been my dream to drive a big rig!" to "It's always been my dream to snapchat from a big rig while the rig drives itself! Ever since I was a little boy!".

bzinger Thanks this.
  8. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    This is why it wont happen, (my opinion) untill ALL vehicles are self driving and talking to each other

[​IMG]

lovesthedrive, Dye Guardian and w.h.o Thank this.
  9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    ...so you take a "driverless" truck, and have to have a "driver" standing by in case the computer gets in over its head. Problem with that, is, that this driver, after having been riding along as a passenger, has not developed the feel for the truck or the load which might be required to be able to perform the maneuvers necessary to handle the situation that was beyond the capabilities of the computer. He just doesn't have "experience" and what skills he may have once had are "rusty". Not only that, but this driver may not have been paying much attention, so he's got to play catch-up taking in the scene to determine what needs to be done...and by then it's too late.

Besides that, if the computer wrecks, it'll still be the driver's fault.

bzinger Thanks this.
  10. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    If I get paid the same, sure. But honestly the government will never let a computer drive while the driver is asleep.

bzinger Thanks this.
  11. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    I wouldn't!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.