Check your 5 the wheel. Every time.

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by blairandgretchen, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    I picked up a load of beer at some DC somewhere, checked the locking jaw, lights, tires, and when I pulled out I got about 20' before the trailer pulled off the 5th wheel and slammed down on the frame. I hit the brakes before it slid off, cranked the landing gear down to where I could get out from under it and straighten up to hook. Trailer too low, truck wouldn't get under. So I got a couple of 2x4's under the pads, kept cranking in low range. I was about burned out when some younger driver came and helped me get the nose high enough to back under. I didn't know then what I think I know now - sometimes, your number is up and you get the prize. I felt fortunate to get out of there without that phone call. Just can't be too careful, you know?

allniter, kiwi23 and melsno Thank this.
  2. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    Last year I got lucky enough to get stuck behind a werner truck that left atd just before I did. Come around my normal horse shoe and werner had managed to drop not 1 but a set of pups right in the middle of the road.

Atd had a bobcat out there attempting to lift the nose of the first pup and another driver was telling me how to get around so I could get back to work. I vividly recall the drivers comment "it's winter with the snow and ice on the 5th wheel it's bound to happen"...

I didn't have the heart to tell any of them at that time I was dropping and hooking 10 times a night most nights and never dropped 1 trailer...and I had just as much snow and ice on my 5th wheel as they would have.

Not being a jerk but everybody also needs to remember just because you pull against that trailer don't mean it won't come unhooked. I managed to high hook one a couple weeks ago jaws locked pin was on top of them pulled against the trailer and it stopped the truck got out went to hook air lines up and crank the gear and started cussing up a storm. Glad I didn't leave the yard or I'd still probably have my thumb up my arse trying to finger out what happened.

3. stevez57305

stevez57305 Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Florida
    I know this is about a dropped trailer but how back breaking can it be to put glad hands and a plug or 2 in the holder...amh

4. kiwi23

kiwi23 Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I've been hung up on my 4 axle trailer after unloading 49 cows, it's got airbags whereas truck on springs. ( drawbar extends/retracts thru dolly to load thru trailer to truck) Had to find rocks, plywood, piece of 2*4 to move forward

5. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    379exhd, I had that high hook messup - once. Man. I worked so hard. Lucky I'd just found an antique flat tire iron (made in the USA with real American steel) and eventually got back out and hooked.

Another of trucking life lessons learned. I wonder now, how many are there!

6. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    My truck has no hangers for the airlines and pigtail, but then it is a work truck :p

stayinback Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That's too hard?

That's too hard?

GTFO off the road mister get on the porch.

I cannot stand anyone saying That's too hard. Cranking a trailer landing gear is not hard. Unloading a ruined trailer across the doors to another is hard. (Because you ruined the 5th wheel plate or nose..) So if anyone here thinks something is too hard find yourself another industry.

I am not sure how the trailer got to where it is but I can think of a couple of things none of them good. I'll reserve my thoughts other than it's too hard...

spyder7723 and stayinback Thank this.
  8. tech10171968

tech10171968 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    This is exactly why I used to carry a couple of wood blocks in the cab when I pulled dry van (they were ends of a railroad tie). The company I drove for used to have a mix of tractors (Petes, Cornbinders and Freightshakers) and some of those were running taller rubber than the others. Some of the rookies were running the taller rubber and would overextend the landing gear, too. Got tired of high-hooking trailers after those guys, and the blocks made life so much easier. It also taught me to take a flashlight and visually check to see if the jaws locked around the kingpin.

allniter and mjd4277 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.