Choice program for tanker

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by realsupatrucka, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Asphalt Anarchy

Asphalt Anarchy Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Atlanta, Ga
    She said they have tons of applications in process. Hopefully some of those come back with an explanation why they're calling it at 2400mi.

Also, I forgot earlier. It's not percentage pay. They're just going to put loads on the board at whatever price they decide and you take it or don't. Total price includes (tank wash PU>Load>Drive>Unload>tank wash DP). There's no extra load/unload pay.

ncdriver1 Thanks this.
  2. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Usually it's not much of a problem. The vast majority of bulk freight, at least for Schneider, is single compartment. I rarely had problems finding a tank. If the one I was issued was dirty there was usually another one ready to go.

3. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Thanks for clarifying that. Totally kills it for me, no way I'm running for $1.15 + fsc (currently $0.16 according to sni website). I love the idea of self dispatch with full access to a load board, but not if it doesn't pay what it should.

4. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Sounds worse than a CR England lease :eek:

5. Old_n_gray

Old_n_gray Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2016
    western pa
    Tell me again why you would want to be a choice driver? WOW

6. Asphalt Anarchy

Dec 4, 2014
    Atlanta, Ga
    I have new info from SFI. Opinions, please?

What trucks are available?
    Brad@SFI: 2015-2017 model Freightliner Cascadia Evolutions in bulk spec. 2017’s will be ultrashifts, 2015 and 16’s are 10 speed manuals.

What are the down payments and weekly payments?
    Down payments are only necessary to get into a Freightliner that has a Tripac (diesel powered APU). Weekly payments are dependent on the truck and the lease term. Options are 52 weeks to 156 weeks. Ballpark would be $900/week.

How much goes into the maintenance account?
    This would depend largely on the lease term and can range from $85 to $135/week.

What other charges are there?
    Fuel, insurance, registration, and truck payments are anticipated fixed and variable expenses. The total estimate of fixed expenses is $1200/week. (not really helpful as I know what is required, I wanted dollar figures)

I was told the break even point is around 2400mi. That sounds high and is a lot higher than what I've calculated. Is this true?
    The breakeven pt is typically around 1300-1400 miles/wk, 2400 miles is certainly too high.

I suspect and have calculated that BE is actually about 1500mi/week. But to pay all my bills and put $800-$1000 in savings does come to around 2400mi. The real question is can you actually make $3k gross and/or get 2500mi in a week. There's not much info on here about what regular ICs are able to do. I know I was going broke as a Bulk company driver two years ago. I was lucky to make 1800mi in a week then but I didn't know what I was doing and we lost some big customers in the Workflow change over.

scythe08 and crb Thank this.
  7. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    Wow, wow, wow. I can not get over how cheap they want to pay the IC's for tanker. I'm still speechless and those kind of horrible rates, but Schneider is the ##### of the tanking industry.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    Orange713 and scythe08 Thank this.
  8. Asphalt Anarchy

Dec 4, 2014
    Atlanta, Ga
    Yeah, it's tough out here. I think I'd be doing fine but I've had two canceled loads this week so end up sitting the whole week then scrambling just to cover expenses. It's not like van where you pick a new load and go. Decent loads pop up twice a week and if you're not in a position to take one there's nothing left but $50 loads. You think big deal I'll do four or five of those a day but no. Getting into a plant, waiting, then loading or unloading once takes all day. It's cheaper to sit and not waste fuel. I sent home $250 last week. $600 the week before. (best week ever) This week will be breakeven if I'm lucky. Next week is off to a good start if I survive the far north east and have something waiting when I get back. I'm really disappointed after coming from $1000 net checks as a company driver. Just hoping things are better in the spring.

I'm curious to know what other companies are paying. I'm at least making my payments so I think I'll push through and buy the truck. FSM knows I'm not putting a lot of miles on it. I need a plan for when this is over. I may even take the pump and compressor off and go flatbed with it.

9. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    I have no idea how you're sticking with it, the first week I only cleared $600, I'm be filling out the paperwork with someone else. I would certainly look at LTC. I would of gone there if I hadn't been offered the run I'm on now.

I don't know what part of the country you live in, but I know there's loads between Chicago & Cinn or st Louis that are paying about $2.50/mile to the truck. I just ran a load from Chicago to outside Cleveland that paid $935 including fsc on 336 miles to the truck. The load back paid $1,205 with fsc on 480 miles. (I did have to DH 120 back to the tank wash)

I just did the math, my dedicated run if I add in the pump & scale charges cone out to be $1.98/mile round trip. There are better paying companies for O/O then Schneider.

scythe08 Thanks this.
  10. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Schneider is starving out the ICs, even on the Van side.
    They have the loads but they arent posting them for us to haul, just a few cheap loads here and there. That's it

TennMan Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.