Choices oh boy

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by reynettevos, Feb 5, 2016.

1. reynettevos

reynettevos Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Which truck would you opt to lease. 2016 Freightliner Cascadia or 2016 Peterbilt 579 Conventional.
    Can anyone tell me which of the two is more economical to maintain.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    I would pick the pete. That way you could tap your feet to the sound of the motown beat while sitting in the seat of your pete. Can not do that in a fruit liner.

passingthru69 and reynettevos Thank this.
  4. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    579s remind of of Cadilacs. Sure they're nice inside but boy nobody wants them when they get old.

reynettevos Thanks this.
  5. Sipesh

Sipesh Medium Load Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Colorado
    To tell you which one would be more 'economical to maintain', a little more information is needed. What's under the hood? Transmissions? Different engines are more or less expensive to maintain. There should be a warranty on a lot of it if it is new, but not always. If that Pete has a Paccar engine... good luck getting it worked on anyplace but a dealer's shop. That can be a real issue if you break down in BFE. If you're going to end up buying out at the end, though, that Pete will have a much higher resale value than the Freightliner, but if you're only going to run it for a few years and then turn it in, I reckon that doesn't matter.

reynettevos Thanks this.
  6. reynettevos

Feb 5, 2016
    Freightliner Cascadia Evelution--- DT12 with Detroit gearbox
    Peterbilt 578 Conventional----- Cummins 15L with 16 speed Eaton gearbox

7. reynettevos

Feb 5, 2016
    Freightliner Cascadia Evelution--- DT12 with Detroit gearbox
    Peterbilt 578 Conventional----- Cummins 15L with 16 speed Eaton gearbox
    We do intend to keep the truck.

8. FLCRACKER

FLCRACKER Medium Load Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Lorida, FL
    Dt 12 is the Detroit trans engine should be dd15 or dd13. 16 spd eaton thats a new one on me.

9. Sipesh

Sipesh Medium Load Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Colorado
    Well, good, not a Paccar engine. Honestly, depending on how you drive, you can probably eek out similar fuel mileage out of them. The Cummins engine can be fantastic, tons of places to get serviced, if you maintain it properly. YOU MUST MAINTAIN IT AND THE EMISSIONS SYSTEM PROPERLY, OR THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY. Luckily, there are a lot of resources online for learning what sensors to keep an eye on and such. Detroit engines have their good and bad qualities as well. Parts on the Detroit can be less expensive. The Pete would be my choice, personally, and not just because I have one now (I'm actually getting a KW next week). The durability of the truck overall will be better with the Pete.

reynettevos Thanks this.
  10. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Lot more old Petes on the road than old mega fleet throw away truck Shakers.

G13Tomcat, reynettevos and Sipesh Thank this.
  11. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    16 speed Eaton?????

Freightliner is cheaper to run, BUT has the build quality of a 1970's Chrysler...Peterbilt would be my choice....but...16 Speed Eaton????? what's that????

reynettevos Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.