Citation from at fault accident

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by msjs91011, Aug 23, 2016.

1. msjs91011

msjs91011 Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2014
    So, I screwed up and got into an accident. No vehicles towed, no injury. I have a citation for "right of way at through highways, stop signs, yield signs". Should I just pay the waiver on it or try to get a reduced citation? If I should try for a reduced charge, how do I do that?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AirborneLegg13T

AirborneLegg13T Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Albuquerque NM
    Lawyer up! I got busted going 55 in a 35 construction zone. Would've been 30pt on my license. Got a lawyer, got it knocked down to 0-3 mp, zero pt on my license. Yes it cost about $1k but my driving career is in tact. My insurance hasn't gone up, and it was a good lesson to learn!

4. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    One att. you can call that handles truck tic. is called Roadlaw OOIDA sends drivers to them for help contact num. 888 276 8000

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    If roadlaw can't help you, try interstate truckers. ( i think they're called).

Roadlaw couldn't help me on my last ticket. No lawyer wanted to go to that court. I have no idea why. I think it was too far for their taste. Which was at the very north edge of the main population zone in utah.

6. msjs91011

Aug 6, 2014
    I finally found my ticket and I guess I screwed myself on this one because the court date - if I chose to appear- is tomorrow Aug 23 at 0830. Guess I have no other choice because I don't need my license messed with.

7. msjs91011

Aug 6, 2014
    What I find strange is that I cannot locate the citation online. Issued by state cops, so I checked both the state website and the county it occurred in and nothing. My unofficial drivers abstract doesn't show a citation, only the accident. Would be nice if it just got lost but I doubt that.

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    You'll have to call the court. I had that same problem in laramie, WY

Getsinyourblood Thanks this.
  9. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Yes call the clerk of courts and ask for a later date.
    Most courts will let you postpone apperance once or twice. Good luck.

Getsinyourblood Thanks this.
  10. David_Simpson

David_Simpson Medium Load Member

Feb 23, 2016
    why did you not take care of this as soon as you got it?

you can try to reschedule, but if you cannot, go up in front of the judge (and the prosecutor if that state has one for tickets, mine does!) and plead it down to a lesser charge, like a broken headlight, but say you WILL PAY the full cost of the original ticket, all they want is the money.

i highly doubt that you can get this rescheduled, you waited too long for action. courts usually open at 9:00 AM here, but since your time is 8:30, i am surmising they are ready to go!

11. msjs91011

Aug 6, 2014
    Okay so my situation is this:

The court cannot find my ticket using any lookup methods they have available. I cannot find my ticket using the county or state websites.

My unofficial dmv abstract shows my accident on my Crider record but it does not show the accompanying citation. The citation cannot be searched by its reference number or ticket number.

Court was 08 23 2016 at 0830 if I wanted to contest the charge.

I have 7 to 10 days before they mess with my license to pay them if I just want to waive it as guilty. It's 2 points on my license.

If I want a continuation so I CAN appear in court I have to fax a request to them accompanying the ticket.

What the hell do I need? Obviously I want a continuance.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.