cleaning the box

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Marky84, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Marky84

Marky84 Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Jefferson, WI
    asphalt and #### and the like. just started dump truck a short time ago and im having a helluva time cleaning that box and keeping it clean. i know diesel, but what do you veterans do? and what kinda tools? i heard over the radio today that a guy put rustoleum in his box bed, but i forgot to ask abouyt it cuz i was hauling clean sand around.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    The dump guys at the plant I pick up from in Toledo use XTRA laundry detergent in the bed BEFORE they receive their mix. Why that brand, I don't know . . . never asked, sorry! And yeah, of course, diesel. Even though it's supposedly a no-no . . . they / we all do it.
    Maybe @Cat sdp has some insight? Leme know what you find; I'm curious too. Be safe, man.

4. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Probably cause its cheap, I just got three bottles at Farm & Fleet for 6 bucks.

G13Tomcat and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  5. Ric Rabbit

Ric Rabbit Light Load Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Atlanta metro area GA
    Most asphalt plants around here spray coat your bed with a release agent before loading . . . doesn't yours?

DOT "Popcorn" hot rock is the worst in terms of sticking a good load or 4's or 57's post pave does wonders for scraping bed clean . . . that and an immediate tailgate shovel scrape (rather than just the lazy, SOP BANG BANG BANG?)

59MackB61 Thanks this.
  6. Eaton18

Eaton18 Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Waverly, KS
    This is one thing we're super lucky, not having to haul. You do not push a frame-less trailer, which is what happens when dumping into a laydown. I do see the plants around here also provide the agent to spray down the beds. However I also see the drivers scraping out.

7. Marky84

Marky84 Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Jefferson, WI
    they do have an overhead sprayer for the super soap into the box. im just trying to learn as many "secrets" as possible.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  8. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Its been a while since I've heard anything about it, but some friends haul asphalt here. I know the plant a few years ago installed a spray station of some sort and supplied an "approved" chemical for them to spray their beds with. From my understanding, the chemical worked fine as long as they sprayed before EVERY load. The state dept was cracking down pretty hard on diesel spraying at the time. Diesel was better, but the other chemical was working. They just used diesel if it got out of hand after that. Diesel fuel is probably always going to be the most effective...but not approved.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  9. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    ^^^ Yup, the dumps do it on the down-low here, too...with diesel. All I ever see as I pump-off from my tanker, with them, is the dang "XTRA" powdered detergent! <<< then they sneak the diesel in a windex bottle, LoL! >>> I use diesel to clean my PTO religiously. Once every 2/3 months we get a costly tank-wash; raw asphalt 6122 or 3257 in the Etnyre doesn't release too well. We just drop em for a day & start fresh.
    The dumps at Shelly Co. don't have a spray station; just a set of stairs with a mini-catwalk, for those guys to tend to their rigs. . . with the above "remedies."
    Any idea what that "approved" chemical is, @Arky ? Just curious. . . .
    Be safe, man!

10. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I think is is a peanut oil. At least it is what some around here use. It has worked well for us. Now for that asphalt that is just stuck in the box, gasoline works the best at dissolving the bond to the bed. Just no smoking at the time.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  11. 59MackB61

59MackB61 Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Before the first load, pressure wash the bed and make sure it is clean. Use diesel and scrap then use the release agent at the plant and make sure it stays wet as possible before loading then keep it wet before reloading don't spray it then let it dry. At the end of the day scrap and diesel anything left over which should not be much.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.