Clearing the air on CPAP

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by DOTPhysical, Mar 24, 2015.

1. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Bow Before Lord CPAP :biggrin_25514:

Attached Files:

BostonTanker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DOTPhysical

DOTPhysical Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Well, I guess you could do that - but I don't recommend it. From the FMCSA's "Frequently asked questions":

What happens if a driver is not truthful about his/her health history on the medical examination form?

The FMCSA medical certification process is designed to ensure drivers are physically qualified to operate commercial vehicles safely. Each driver is required to complete the Health History section on the first page of the examination report and certify that the responses are complete and true. The driver must also certify that he/she understands that inaccurate, false or misleading information may invalidate the examination and medical examiner's certificate.

FMCSA relies on the medical examiner's clinical judgment to decide whether additional information should be obtained from the driver's treating physician. Deliberate omission or falsification of information may invalidate the examination and any certificate issued based on it. A civil penalty may also be levied against the driver under 49 U.S.C. 521(b)(2)(b), either for making a false statement of for concealing a disqualifying condition."

Not sure what the "civil penalty" is. But being untruthful at the very least invalidates the exam.

Most people with OSA don't realize they have it. OSA can be treated with weight loss, surgery, and not all masks are god awful - but it does take some getting used to. Untreated OSA can cause high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, lung disease - and if you have these already, treatment can make these conditions better or even resolve in some cases.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    xlsdraw Thanks this.
  4. TruckDuo

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    DOTPhysical, who are you ? What is your goal ?

5. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Which is why I don't agree with current BMI standards. To drop down to a BMI of 24.1, I would pretty much be a skeleton with skin stretched across (think Christian Bale in that movie he dropped a boat load of weight for). I carry most of my weight in my shoulders and thighs, which are pretty well muscled. I'm not in the greatest shape, I admit, but I've got the strength to do my job so I'm not pure flab either. And yet, doctors are always jumping on me to drop weight and basically starve myself to meet some "medically determined standard".

Not everyone is built the same. My father was a big man, my grandfather was a big man, and I'm a big man. It doesn't mean I'm an unhealthy man. I eat healthy, with a solid balanced diet carrying plenty of raw vegetables as well as the standard meat and potatoes, I exercise regularly (again, flatbedder), and I do my best to maintain a regular sleep schedule (local driver). BMI standards are not good to apply to everyone.

BostonTanker Thanks this.
  6. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Looks to me like his (her?) goal is to provide information and answer questions about a major issue affecting the industry.

TruckDuo and wsyrob Thank this.
  7. DOTPhysical

Mar 23, 2015
    To respond to what my goal is, the best answer is to give a little information about myself. I am a physician and I cater to the DOT physical. I enjoy answering questions and giving info. Things are a little slow since I just started, so I have time to answer questions now. As I indicated earlier, I was asked to start this thread, so I did.

i agree the BMI is imperfect; for instance many professional athletes would be obese according to BMI calculator. I can ignore the BMI, or alter a cutoff bases on different body types - I would just need to justify my reasons for doing so in the chart.
    BMI is just one criteria.

more important is history. Facial and throat structure is important. The presence of HTN and diabetes is important, because it could have been caused by OSA. I realize this is a contentious issue, and an issue I think is still in flux and trying to find the right balance between practicality and safety.

RERM, Mr.X, Studebaker Hawk and 3 others Thank this.
  8. TruckDuo

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    DOTPhysical, thank you for answering my question. :yes2557:

9. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    HTN? Sorry, I'm not familiar with this term.

Also, when looking at facial and throat structure, are you talking about the signs of snoring? Because I've heard that snoring is a sign of OSA (no, I don't snore. At least not that I'm aware of. None of my ex girlfriends ever complained, but they apparently had plenty of other things to complain about).

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  10. DOTPhysical

Mar 23, 2015
    Sorry - HTN = hypertension, same as high blood pressure

Looking at facial, like a small jaw, large tongue, large tonsils, basically things that lead to less room in the mouth/airway for air to pass through

brsims Thanks this.
  11. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    How would leaving constitute lying? I go to the next doctor and he doesn't order a sleep study. I don't get the lie. Also, my question wasn't answered very well. Let me ask it this way. If I just walk out does anything get put in a file or something? What are the consequences for doing that? I could care less what FMCSA says about lying.

pete1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.