Clutch knee?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Maddog2020, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    In my limited knowledge there could be three things wrong with a knee. Muscular, tendons and ligaments, and friction of moving parts (like almost all football players have)

I have what I call a "skateboarder's knee". Laying on my back on the Doc's table, knee up in the air and bent 90 degrees. He/she twists my ankle slightly then moves my leg forward and back through the motion of the knee. I can really feel it grind! It is worse on the left knee, that is the one that was on the skateboard and did the up-down motion.

For me the knee gets very stiff when it is in one position for many hours. It also does not like anything range of motion that is not straight. I have to be very careful not to be twisting it while supporting weight and moving up and down.

Going down from the truck is not a problem. But after 11 driving, getting out to open doors then climbing back in immediately I must be careful.

Mikeeee

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. hup

hup Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Missoula, MT
    I developed really bad left knee pain when I first started driving.. I eventually realized a lot of it was due to where my chair was positioned. I used to put the chair far back so I couldn't easily engage the clutch break by accident.

I started sitting closer to the steering wheel, and that helped quite a bit, although I stil had pain-- I think I had damaged my knee, from weeks and weeks of misuse..and it was slowly healing.

I have no pain now.. (mind you, I also float gears more now than then too.. I'm sure that also helped.)

4. jmcclelland2004

jmcclelland2004 Light Load Member

May 22, 2011
    Modesto, Ca
    Yeah I have never drove the regular ten so I can see how it would be confusing but in my opinion it is much less work and way easier than a regular ten would be. On the top two thing mine says it is also but it doesn't seem to work although I have a very specific rpm range u like to keep so I might just be getting impatient

5. NadeauTrucking

NadeauTrucking Light Load Member

Jul 24, 2011
    Bristol, CT
    As i told another driver, Purified fish oil will literally not only lower you blood pressure, it is also great for the joints, esp the knee's. i have bad knee's from construction and football injuries and unless i take fish oil, they will sound like rice crispie's. Trust me, it helps that much. Also, it helps learning how to drive without using the clutch. its only there for starting, stopping, and reverse. other than that, you dont need it.

6. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    It does run it up to the governor when it senses power is needed like when climbing before it shifts under cruise. From I understand it does this to prevent gear hunting.

7. Eagle_Eye

Eagle_Eye Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2010
    ClarksvilleTennesse
    I fell out of the truck(Step broke Bad repair of damaged step) Back in August. Have had 3 surgerys and 2 months of rehab. Finally Thursday doc diagnosed me with "Truckers Knee" Took me off 3 more weeks. BTW the origional injury I tore 4 of the major ligament completly 2 partially and broke the Pattellia, also tearing the Midiscus Cartlage. Hope to be back soon this being off driving me nuts.!

8. cadillacdude1975

cadillacdude1975 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    PAM has auto shifts, and i think may trucking does as well.

the sitting closer to the wheel helped me too. the only thing that bothers me in traffic now is the ball of my left foot from pushing the clutch in and out, etc. same for working it in a tight spot as well.

9. Dave75

Dave75 Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Florence, MS
    PAM is going away with auto shifts. Least, that's what I was told at their orientation a while back. While I was there though, a driver for WSE was there and told me that they only run auto shifts

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.