Coast to Coast Solos?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by bbmyls2go, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Powell-Peralta

Powell-Peralta Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Where's AAX's website and what kind of equipment do they run?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. zyk285

zyk285 Medium Load Member

Sep 14, 2010
    North Carolina
  4. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    I saw that you posted K&B here. If this is the one out of Sioux City, IA, I would run real fast from this place. There are some forums here on them.

There is a place that I found and that you might want to check out, and that is MCT. Look at their private fleet owners. I live in OH and found one that is based out of Ottumwa. He has two customers here in Ohio that he is at alot, Columbus and Trotwood. That puts me home every week if want. Avg length of haul is about 1400 miles. Also they have plenty of freight that comes out of the west heading to the Carolinas. Might be worth looking at.

5. bbmyls2go

bbmyls2go Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thanks - yeah, it is the same K&B and I have made clear to them I do not want to go on their OTR fleet because of what I have read here - however they have a dedicated fleet in Chattanooga for Pilgrims Pride - local SE runs, home several times a week, but openings only come up once or twice a year and I haven't been in position to get one yet (that's why they ask me to come on board OTR).

I'll def see if I can get more info on Kenneth Hite - sounds like he has the right work to offer, now if he is only looking for hands ... ! thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2011
  6. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    The last that I heard, he was looking for a few. Talked to him a couple of times, seems like a straight shooter. Good luck

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2011
  7. bbmyls2go

Feb 19, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thanks, talked to him today but he doesn't really have that freight base anymore - runs mostly Iowa west and back, and Iowa to Florida. Also starts pay on the short end at 32cpm expecting several weeks out between home times - I passed.
    I may hold my nose and talk to hometown USXpress just for convenience sake. Read something recently that turned me off to the idea of running Heartland out of ATL on their SE regional fleet.

Could be enjoying AAX a little more if I didn't hit a blizzard or highway shutdown every time I'm in the NW, LOL! (sitting waiting for Snoqualmie to drop the chain restrictions right now so I can pick up freight on the other side of the pass and head for FL again).

8. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    They are a very good operation--but they are team only--and if you don't have a good deal of reefer exp. it probably wouldn't work for you.

9. lonewolf262

lonewolf262 Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Atchafalaya Basin
    If you have been out west recently you should know who has solos going out west is slim pickins. Andrus out of Ut is hiring solos for West side. The climate is team only. SRT (texarkana) still runs west coast solo, not dedicated just regular FAK.

10. bbmyls2go

Feb 19, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Yeah, I've been in touch with just about all the west coast outfits but they dont hire out of Chattanooga (Mays, Interstate, SRT, GTI). Trick is finding a smaller company with decent pay, and I hate to be stubborn, but with 15 years in (half of that in reefer) 32cpm buys you a steering wheel holder and nothing more. I won't work to keep your freight on time, I won't press forward in bad weather, I won't touch freight, I won't talk nice about you to my friends, LOL! They want to complain about a driver shortage then they can either pony up the extra 5-10cpm in pay or they can put up with drivers treating them as a revolving door. Get over it people, the recession is winding down, the economy is picking up and either you grow a pair and charge higher rates, or you tolerate putting your reputation in the hands of unemployed newbies who are clueless about the OTR life.
    (sorry, lonewolf, that was brewing for a while, LOL!) Thanks for the input!bb.

ps - olhand, yeah, we discussed Severt early on but the team hiring rules me out.
    Am still in touch with Storey as well as a mattress manufacturer up in Shelbyville, TN. that runs the SE and TX. Too bad none of the other manufacturers are hiring, its a tight job market to get on with them (Little Debbie, Frito Lay, LazyBoy, Shaw Carpets, Mohawk Carpets) and I keep my apps with them updated every 6 months.

11. bbmyls2go

Feb 19, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    I noticed an outfit running the long haul lanes to the NW on my last trip east :
    Buel Transport out of Chesnee, SC. They currently have an ad in careers in gear (search Florence, SC Buel) for solo drivers in the FL/SC/NC/GA/TX areas. Have no idea of pay, their website is pretty basic and you have to contact them. Nice trucks!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.