Cobra 25 29 or 148

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Southpaw7391, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Southpaw7391

Southpaw7391 Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Wherever
    Hey All

Whats the good radios now a days, getting back into driving and need a new radio, I've owned the all but that was then....
    Galaxy still nice but cant spend 350 or more
    Midland ...No thanks
    I'm trying to decide on a Cobra 25 (or the 29)
    or is it worth throwing a few more nickles at the 148 ??

Thanks

Drive Safe

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Only reason a 148 would be better than a 29 is if you wanted SSB...Think if it were me, I'd throw in a few more nickels for a General Lee...More bang for the buck! Several Web Shops sell the General Lee for around $165, which is not that much more than what a 148 would cost you...

4. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    AGREE the 148 is one good SSB radio. If you don't want or need SSB the lee is a very good choice.

5. low_boy

low_boy Bobtail Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Rochester N.Y.
    3 Rd. Vote for the General Lee
    There is nothing wrong with a Cobra 29 either

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  6. DJ4wd

DJ4wd Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Central Ohio
    Not to hijack this to far, but whats the difference between the 25 and the 29?

7. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Extras on the 29's like, SWR check knob, Delta Tune, Bright/Dim switch and a larger case...Thats about it... Both have the exact same output...

8. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    I like my 148, but from the CB shop rumor mill there was lots of quality differences between the different locations that they were made. I have an older one that was supposedly from the Phillipines.

9. rocknroll nik

rocknroll nik High Risk Load Member

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
    from what I have learned the cobra's ( all of them) that were made in the Philippines were the best. I have a 29 that is stock and it gets out just fine with a properly tuned antenna and even after I tuned it with the swr/rf on the radio:biggrin_25523:

10. Southpaw7391

Southpaw7391 Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Wherever
    Thanks all... I went with the Cobra 29 Anniversary Edition... I had a General Lee, it worked great, with a 14 year old Ford day cab, I had a Galaxy that I bought used and it didn't fare well in the same truck... Well see how the 29 works in T600

11. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    The 25 I think is the best all around starter radio.

The 29 is for if you want a few useless features not found on the 25...such as the inaccurate swr meter, the delta tune (really? on a non sideband radio?) and the larger "feel good" case. The dimmer is the only real useful option IMO.

The 148, as posted, is good for if you use sideband, which I have learned many truckers don't even know what that is....long story short it's a different mode of operation that is more efficient that allows you to talk further legally, however your other party has to have a sideband radio to be able to use the sideband option plus you have to dial them in and they have to dial you in....IMO sideband is better suited for radio hobbyists and such, not someone trying to dial someone in while driving.

The General Lee, while not a true CB (it's an export) is great for having a little bit more bark on the air...I heard one once a few years back...the trucker was 7 miles away from me and sounded clear as day on the radio.

BTShepp Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.