Cobra 29 NW LTD Squeal

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Chevyho, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Chevyho

Chevyho Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Other drivers report a nasty squeal when I try and talk. Ive tried 2 differant mics with same results. I can hear others perfect with excellent range. Radio is a Cobra 29 nw ltd classic with a wilson 1000 antenna. Not sure where to start, when in calibration mode adjusting swr the meter sometimes jumps rapidly. Not sure if the radio itself is bad? Any help is very appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    Do you have any mods done to the radio?

4. Chevyho

Dec 13, 2013
    Not that i know of, i bought the truck with the radio in it. I dont think so tho.

5. Neverready

Neverready Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Pocomoke City, Md.
    If you are using a power mike and have both it and Dynamike on radio turned up it may squeal. If you are using an external speaker and it is located too close it will cause a feedback squeal.

Chevyho Thanks this.
  6. Chevyho

Dec 13, 2013
    I feel like whatever is causing the swr meter to jump around is related to squeal, or is it normal for the meter to jump? None of my other cb's did that.

7. Bout Z

Bout Z Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2015
    so. ohio
    Swr meter shouldnt be jumping around. May have a short somewhere in the antenna system. Is this a factory antenna setup? Factory coax, antennas?

Chevyho Thanks this.
  8. Bout Z

Bout Z Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2015
    so. ohio
    A factory antenna system will most likely provide signal for your cb, and am/fm radio. I had a similar issue with rfi getting into the stereo speakers when i'd key the mic, and talk. It would cause feedback and squeal. But it only happened while the stereo was on. Running my own coax and antenna cured the issue.
    Also, if the problem is caused by some external source, like a speaker, the actual squeal itself, could be causing the swr meter to jump around. Try turning the dynamike knob all the way down, then recheck swr.

Chevyho Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.