Cobra - Twice Bitten

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Call_Me_The_Breeze, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Call_Me_The_Breeze

Call_Me_The_Breeze Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Okay so I just learned that my second Cobra in 18 months has died. Getting a little tired of fighting with these things, I would like to find out what I can buy that will last. I'm not trying to reach 50 miles down the road or into the next state, just want a good setup that will last and let me know what's going on within the next 5 to 10 miles...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Cobra 29 should do the trick right out of the box

darthanubis Thanks this.
  4. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Make sure your SWR is good. If you are going thru radios that fast, it sounds like you have an antenna or coax problem. Cobra makes a good radio. They shouldn't be quitting on you like that.

darthanubis, Bout Z and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  5. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    I like Cobra, especially the compact models for my purposes. Since I move my radios from vehicle to vehicle and always remove them after use, I need compact CBs.

I bought a new Cobra 19 Ultra III last July, tuned the antenna used with it for acceptable SWR and was very satisfied with the performance. However, it malfunctioned six months later. So, I sent it in to Cobra for warranty service, and they sent me a new Cobra 19 DX IV in the return mail. Very quick service. It works good too. I just hope it lasts.

I've had trouble with intermittant problems with a Midland Compact 1001z too, but so far it's still in service.

I just wonder what it is about these units. They work well, but I need to keep them working. I wonder if it's poor soldering or something.

Call_Me_The_Breeze Thanks this.
  6. Bout Z

Bout Z Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2015
    so. ohio
    What I have found, in the smaller compact radios, like the cobra 19's, to save space on the pcb, they mount small boards vertically, on the main horizontal pcb. (Hard to explain, but if you open up one of these radios, youll see what I mean)
    These small pcb's are prone to solder fractures on the main board. Thats usually all thats wrong with them.

Meteorgray Thanks this.
  7. Bout Z

Bout Z Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2015
    so. ohio
    What happened to them? Cobra's usually hold up well if they're not hacked up, and your antenna system is up to par...

8. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

Like the Astatic and Road King microphones....built cheaper all the time!
    Also have you replaced the coax lately? Time to check antenna system over too...

Call_Me_The_Breeze Thanks this.
  9. Call_Me_The_Breeze

Call_Me_The_Breeze Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Both were 29 LTD Classics. First was set up perfect, 4-1/2 miles on a good night. Good coax with a tuned Wilson 2000. Transformer blew and replaced with another 29 that was beefed-up. Worked great. Was fine when removed from my last truck two months ago, now all I get is the CH LED. No meter backlight, no static, nothing. Seriously disgusted right now.

10. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

Something inside possibly came loose....or a bad solder joint.

11. Link407

Link407 Light Load Member

Mar 17, 2015
    Take it to a shop. They should be able to fix it cheaper than replacing it

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.