Coffee In The Truck

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by terryg247, Dec 1, 2015.

1. terryg247

terryg247 Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Hate Pilot/Flying J coffee. No matter what I do to it the taste does not improve. Looking for a coffee solution for the truck. Pretty much twelve volt or under two hundred watts. Any ideas or suggestions

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I switched to Nescafe instant. Now every cup is fresh and at the strength I enjoy.
    Got tired of that rotgut coffee most truck stops have now.

terryg247 Thanks this.
  4. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Walmart sells a coffee press for $20. I buy Maxwell house drip. Go into truck stop and get some hot water and I make it nice and strong. Better than anything I can find. Costs about 25 cents a cup.

5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Requires the inverter, but my good old Mr. Coffee 12 cup drip machine has been a regular savior from the sewer water they pass off as coffee. That and a thermos makes the routine a once a day occurrence, and the savings stack up pretty good.

6. Crassius

Crassius Light Load Member

May 15, 2013
    Don't know what exactly you are allowed to have on your truck, but you did mention electrical limitations....

I had to switch temporarily to a truck without a generator, and used this butane powered single burner with a tea kettle, and made great coffee using the pour over method.

Youtube pour over coffee and you'll see how it is done.

You use Melitta paper filters with the plastic filter holder below.....

The burners are less than 20 bucks, and come with a hard case like a screw gun has.... sports authority has them, as do many others.

I carry it now as a backup. They are used in the restaurant industry in catering situations. The fuel is $2.99 and available at any Walmart.

Any open flame will use up oxygen in any enclosed space. Don't be an idiot with it, and it will be completely safe. The canister lasts for 1.25 hours on high..... you'll only need a few minutes to heat up a kettle....

Measure the amount of water you are going to need first, for two reasons... you only want to heat up what you actually need to save fuel, and why waste water you have to buy? Fill your coffee cup with the plain water first, then pour that into the kettle for the perfect measure.

Its great to have hot water available always... to clean yourself up, and a host of other things.
    Butane Range.png Melitta.png

Attached Files:

7. terryg247

terryg247 Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Definitely limitations, three hundred max inverter and no open flames. The last one is a firing offense if they find out.

8. Crassius

Crassius Light Load Member

May 15, 2013
    Its their truck, so follow their rules, as I am sure you were going to do anyway...

terryg247 Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Truckstop coffee usually tastes like it was made from dirty mop bucket water or the drain water at the fuel pumps. That's why I switched to instant coffee; was a big waste of time pulling in to a truck stop to refill on coffee knowing there's a 99% chance the stuff is not fit to drink.

10. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    if i have to make coffee in the truck i use one of those hot pot things to heat up water and instant coffee.
    luckily, i have access to several decent places for coffee. the best being gateway truckstop.

[​IMG]

11. teqntexas

teqntexas Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Ft. Worth Tx.
    my last time out i was in a truck with out an invertor. ended up cashing in points for one of those road pro 12 volt ones from Love's. technically it worked, it just took a while for it to make a small pot. like 10-15 minutes. previous gig had an invertor and carried a small hotel size kurieg/k cup coffee maker. now that was awesome. quick, and no mess.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.