Comdata Card

Discussion in 'Swift' started by eddytude, Sep 30, 2011.

1. eddytude

eddytude Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2009
    lansdale. pa
    Rookie, headed to orientation in Jonestown, my recruiter stated that I could be paid direct deposit or Comdata card, if I make it out with a trainer.
    Does a Comdata card function like a debit card, is there a fee when withdrawing cash from an ATM, can you split your pay between DD and the
    card? All previous posts regarding this subject are dated and not Swift specific, thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Sort of similar to a Debit card. However finding a place that excepts Comdata is not a easy task.

You can't walk into a 7-11 and simply swipe the card to buy a slurpee at the front counter unless they are authorized comdata place. Can be used at some ATM's.
    Truck stops no problem. Suburban ATMs / Stores not so easy.

It's a headache and a life saver. tough to explain

Google comdata, More then i could explain. Good luck in the future.

4. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I prefer direct deposit then I can use my bank card anywhere. I've taken advances before that were loaded to the comdata card then used at an ATM machine to access the cash.

5. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    you'll be charged a fee from the truck stop UNLESS you have fueled
    anywhere from 2-3 % i would stick with dd for all my pay. when you need cash you can always just get an advance off your comdata card

( again) for free if u have fueled. also at home with your bank you may not be able to get cash right away. i went into mine a few months ago to cash a comcheck and was told i would have to deposit and wait for it to clear.
    The reason i was giving was there have been alot of counter fit comchecks wow i never new they could be used at some atm's

6. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    you can also use it at wallmarts.

wore out and Shaggy Thank this.
  7. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Wow thanks, Did not know that. Limited around my area using a comdata ( local driver ) not much of anything except maybe 5 places in a 30 mile radius not much truck stops around pittsburgh
    Thanks again.

8. 1nonly

1nonly tease-y-ness

Jul 2, 2008
    The burning sands of the SW
    I'm not sure where all a Comdata card can be used. I have used it for cash advances a time or two, and I always pulled the cash out via ATM. There is a fee, it was $3 last time I used it. That is in addition to the fee charged by the bank that owns the ATM you used. You can split your pay anyway you want to split it into as many accounts as you want.

IMO, a debit card with a credit card as backup is better than using the Comdata card. I've only used mine when I had no other choice. Too many fees, and too many limitations.

9. neal79

neal79 Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Chicago,IL
    It can be used exactly like any other ATM card on the Cirrus or Maestro network. This is not at all like a "debit" card, those have visa or mastercard logo's on the front and can be used anywhere those credit cards are taken.

What this means is it can be used on any ATM that has Cirrus or Maestro logo on it or for a PIN based transaction at any store on those same networks. You can not use them for any online purchases as you can not have a PIN transaction online or anywhere that doesn't take plain old ATM cards (lets you enter PIN number instead of running it on the credit card network).

You get 2 free transactions at ATM's per pay period from Comdata but the owner of the the ATM usually charges a separate fee. Using it to buy stuff at a store is free and if the store allows it you can also get cash back. Hope this helps.

scottied67 and eddytude Thank this.
  10. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Bingo .....

11. eddytude

eddytude Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2009
    lansdale. pa
    Great info, thanks! Let's talk banks. I am currently banking with BofA - obviously not for much longer - considering your nomadic lifestyle is it better to bank with a national entity - more branches and ATM's - or possibly a online type bank like USAA.
    I do not like ATM or bank fees but I recognize that my banking needs may be different if I ever get out on the road. Thanks in advance.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.