Coming to trucking. First post on this forum. And I'm excited! Airborne!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by TexasBoy, May 28, 2015.

1. TexasBoy

TexasBoy Light Load Member

May 27, 2015
    Thomas The Trucker
    Hello there everyone. Nice to see a good set of fellas and ladies on this forum that have the interest and drive that I do for this. I'll introduce myself...

My name is Thomas, you can call me Texas Boy as some of my old military friends called me. I am a veteran, served with the 173rd Airborne Brigade in the Army as an Intel Analyst. I left service in 2012 due to a gen/ w honorable discharge and have since been hopping from job to job in the civilian world over here in San Antonio Tejas, dealing with jobs such as customer service and sales.. None of which I never saw myself doing. But as I have lost my TS security clearance it was really my only choice given the training I had in the military.

Well I just turned 23 last week and decided now that I was of age for most trucking companies to give it a shot and go for my CDL. I've always loved to drive far and long and have been driving since I was 13, regular cars, not trucks. Pops had me drive state to state when I was a kid when we traveled.. Not safe but oh well, I liked it.;)

After doing my research and weighing pros and cons, calling numerous companies, and making sure I had enough finances and time available, I have chosen to go through paid training through CR England in Dallas...

Yup.. CR England.. Why you ask?

Well after researching and calling the bigger companies, they wanted people with at least 3 - 6 months OTR before giving me a chance, as well as a CDL License. Most paid CDL companies (In my area)..(That I have available) wanted 1 year contracts and definitely were not going to pay out well in the long run. And CR England is the only one (Locally) that will accept me doing a 6 month contract as a way of paying back the school and training. Plus I have a 17 day old son at the house that I would love to see and be around more after those 6 months.

So I have made up my mind. I will go to this dreaded school that everyone talks about while my gf works back home so we can have 2 streams of income for the bills until I get these 6 months out of the way ASAP and move on to the greener pastures that everyone talks about. Preferably Schneider, Roehl, or TMC as I heard they take care of their drivers well.. And of course anything locally in SA that is good for home time and pay would work as well.

Well I just wanted to say hi to everyone and introduce myself to yall. I'm hoping for a very positive and uplifting career change for not only me but my family.. AFTER CR England.. and hope to have a great time on the forum with yall!

Take it easy,
    TexasBoy
    :occasion5:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Hello and welcome, from a fellow San Antonian.

There are quite a few high-dollar local jobs around here. Get your hazmat and tanker endorsements, and get one continuous year of safe driving with England. Then you can work a local job here in SA hauling fuel or crude oil, making good money, and being home with your family every night.

TexasBoy Thanks this.
  4. Dr_Fandango44

Dr_Fandango44 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Contrary to popular belief, CRE training is pretty good, although it's gone up in fees since I went thru it. I did mine in SC and UT. Can't remember how long it took but the main thing is I got my CDL. Be aware though that many if not most fall by the wayside in the training. Trucking is not for everyone. If it's like what I did, you will go out with a trainer OTR and then student with student which was passionately called the dumb and dumber program..lol
    IMHO, don't stick around though, once you get your CDL. CRE are a low paying bunch. I moved on very quickly and got on with a tanker co. There's plenty of good starter companies out there, that pay better than CRE..Good luck.

TexasBoy Thanks this.
  5. TexasBoy

May 27, 2015
    Thomas The Trucker
    Please to meet you, Go Spurs!

Yes I'm very interested in going for as much certs as I can while at CR England. Not sure how I'll manage time going home to get em but hopefully I can work something out with them. I've been looking into the tanker field.. looks very promising for good pay and home time around here, being as we're not far from the oil field towns out here. Nice to meet you Rockinchair!

6. TexasBoy

May 27, 2015
    Thomas The Trucker
    Pleasure to meet you Dr_Fandango44, and thank you for the advice.

I understand it will be something that could be difficult but I am ready to give it my all so I can leave the 9to5 rat race and move on to better things for me and my family. I got lucky I guess, saved 3 months from a regular 9 month contract cause I'm a vet and only have to do 6 lol and grateful for it from what I've been seeing.

Most companies I've been looking into hire with 6 months exp, so I will be looking around then.. god's willing everything goes great in school & training. Only way I'd stay after 6 months is if they offered a local position or route down here and I'd stick it out for 6 more months to get a full year exp like RockinChair said. Grateful that they are giving me a chance though!

7. Indiana RED

Indiana RED Light Load Member

Mar 23, 2015
    wahiawa, HI
    Goodluck to you AIRBORNE I was with the 173rd same time you were I am with 25th ID now hope things work out for you

TexasBoy Thanks this.
  8. TexasBoy

May 27, 2015
    Thomas The Trucker
    Hooah Indiana RED. Lead the way!

Hoping for a great career with this industry. Been hell since I've been out no doubt, but I'm hoping the past 3 years was just a test to see if I could make it this far.. Praying to the airborne rangers in the sky!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. Indiana RED

Indiana RED Light Load Member

Mar 23, 2015
    wahiawa, HI
    I am moving to San Antonio in August time to hang up my wings hopefully I see you there goodluck again and stay focused on your goal

Chinatown and TexasBoy Thank this.
  10. TexasBoy

May 27, 2015
    Thomas The Trucker
    Roger that! I hope you have a great transition my friend. I'll keep yall updated how it goes

11. Night Prowler

Night Prowler Medium Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Temple, Texas
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.