Compact CB Suggestions

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by J/Cope79, Apr 26, 2016.

1. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    The difference between a 4 watt radio and a 10 watt radio is so small that the person on the other side of the conversation would never be able to tell the difference.
    So by tripling or quadrupling the cost there is absolutely no benefit to getting a larger radio.

BTShepp and darthanubis Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Its been highjacked I dont believe he is looking for a spirited debate on watts and range there is enough previous threads that have covered that over and over, he simply asking what kind of setups we are running in our personal vehicles. I stated earlier I was able to reach about 10 miles with a 4 watt 880 and 20 watts with a 12 watt general lee so dont tell me there is no difference and dont tell me the 880 needs to be tuned by the right tech, dont buy it. Sorry J/Cope for getting off track from your original post, I gave you my input so I will step aside and let all the FineTune cb shop advocates take over and preach how a 4 watt radio can talk 30 miles, dont buy it.

4. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I hate to see people spend lots of money without seeing any benefit proportional to the money spent. With a Cobra 29 stock out of the box and a Wilson 5000 roof mount or a Sirio 5000 roof mount I would easily hear him 30 miles away for a fraction of the cost of him buying a 10-meter radio. It's all about getting the most bang for the buck and that was the question he was asking.

5. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I'm trying to help the guy save money.
    I never told him he needed to go to a certain technician and spend money. I also never told him he needed to get a big radio to talk very far considering he has a pickup truck which will easily talk four times further than a tractor-trailer he doesn't need power to talk a great distance.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  6. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    It seems more logical to me instead of spending $300 to talk 20 miles it seems like spending $89 to talk 30 miles seems like a better value for the money spent. And if people have a hard time hearing you at that distance you can tell them they have one of three problems
    1: Squelch knob is cranked all the way to the right
    2: the RF gain knob is cranked all the way to the left
    or
    3: someone has been tampering with some settings inside the radio to make it more difficult to hear

slim6596 and darthanubis Thank this.
  7. darthanubis

darthanubis Heavy Load Member

Jun 26, 2015
    The only person that hijacked the thread is you. You are starting to sound unhinged, and agitated. Maybe you should take a break and stop trying to moderate the forum?

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I second this. It is basically a smaller version of a 29.

9. J/Cope79

J/Cope79 Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2015
    North Alabama
    Yes the Sirio line of antennas will be what i will use. I really like the Uniden 880 and the cobra 25lx and 29lx. Does anyone on here have any input one either of these?
    As for the debating on what is better than the other, I definitely appreciate the input from either side of the fence.
    What brand of Coax is a good buy ?

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  10. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    JMO the Bearcat, and Cobra are so close in performance, flip a coin, or buy the one on sale. For coax Beldin is the best you'll find on the self at a truck stop, but suggest instead you take the radio in for a tune, and have the CB repair guy make you one.

11. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    You can buy pre-made coaxial cables on amazon.com dirt cheap

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.