Compact Fridge / Freezer

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Gunner1977, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Gunner1977

Gunner1977 Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2016
    I need some advice from a driver with experience in installing a compact Fridge / Freezer. I drive a 2013 Volvo, company truck with an inverter (not sure of the watts, but the circuit trips at least once a day). I bought a Magic Chef 3.1 Cu. Ft. mini fridge. Works well, when the power isn't tripped. Company is fine with the install, they even took the passenger seat out to make room for the fridge. So my question is this...Do I continue having to reset the circuit breaker at least once a day or do I see if my company will install an inverter with more wattage, at my expense? Or maybe look for a different appliance? Oh, and by the way, the manual for the fridge says "Not intended to be used with an inverter". Is that just the company covering their butt or do I really need to look for a different appliance?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    Not sure about the inverter question but if the fridge wasn't built with the purpose of being put in a RV or SEMI than it might not hold up.

I had a little bar fridge but the constant vibration caused it to crap out in 6 months.Hope yours last longer.:)

Ymmv

4. breadtrk

breadtrk Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Walmart 2 door dorm fridge. Last one went 7 years, this one is 3 years old. 1500w generic inverter 15 years old.

taxihacker66 Thanks this.
  5. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    You guys are keeping the good ones @ sending all the crap ones up here to us then.:p

6. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    I'm selling a Truckfridge brand refrigerator. 6 months old, like new. Retail for $550. Will let it go for $250. PM me if interested.

7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Tons of people run magic chiefs, myself included. Get a 2500watt pure sine inverter and you can run microwave with it also. BTW, why did they take the seat out? Fridge fits nicely instead of cabinet behind the seat

8. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    what DUNE-T says.
    Magic Chief consumes 80 watt when running I have to use 1000 watt inverter from TS with microwave 600 watt and frige for 8 years.
    vibration will kill your fride if you didn't secure it right.
    Remove useless cabinet, 4 bolts on the bottom, 2 to the sleeper wall and 4 to the upper cabinet.
    Cut 1/2 -1'' plywood 21x21 ''. Place plywood where was cabinet and mark holes for the bolts. drill holes with counterbore and secure plywood to the sleeper floor. Place frige on the plywood adjust level and secure fride to plywood with brackets and good screws. Buy good beer put it in the frige and call us.

9. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Thats pretty much what I have in mine. Black And Decker mini dorm/motel style fridge with freezer. I think I paid $159 or $169 for it. Been in here 2 years along with an 800 watt el cheapo $69 microwave.

[​IMG]

Hurst

10. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    A question for all you fine men. Is propane illegal or a giant pain n the as on a CMV?

Why not RV propane refrigeration/freezers ? 24 days on 25 lb Cheap cheap cheap and super reliable.

11. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    My opinion of course.
    Electrical wires run inside the cab easier then hoses with propane.
    You have to check propane level
    You have to secure propane bottle to satisfy each predator waiting on you in area marked as WEIGH STATION
    You have to unsecure bottle every time you need to change
    If you compare the investment in equipment and installation - $100 refrigerator and $100 - $200 inverter with wires
    Total is $300.
    As propane refrigerator going up to $835 plus hoses, fittings............
    https://www.lehmans.com/p-3508-dometic-built-in-rv-mini-gas-refrigerators.aspx

tommymonza Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.