Companies running automatic transmissions?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by smith2121, Oct 8, 2010.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I once drove a WhiteGMC that had a Volvo engine with a synchronized 8-speed. Nice driving truck, especially with the air-assist clutch. :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Thank you for your service, sir.

Welcome to our little community. :)

4. ManhattanTransfer

ManhattanTransfer Bobtail Member

May 13, 2016
    Because they are better, more efficient, and less expensive to maintain - having less down time because of transmission problems? Yep, that's it. You old timers are having quite a time joining the 21st Century, but many of us have faith you will come around. The Model T you are driving today will be a Cadillac tomorrow.

5. Youngtrucker19

Youngtrucker19 Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2013
    For all you nay Sayers that think you aren't a truck driver unless you shift gears are why this industry is going down hill. Trucking is trucking no matter what you drive in the trucking industry. My dad and some of the older guys I've talked to have said they will not go back to changing gears. Whole lot easier in traffic. Don't have to worry about you leg wearing out before your 40 years old. I drive an autoshift, and enjoy it. Do I miss changing gears sometimes but then I get in traffic and think different. And the newer autoshifts are a lot better. Use to the only auto shifts that were good were the three pedal. Shoot I talk to a old trucker been driving for years and now driving a auto and said he wished they had them back when he start.

6. LongYall

LongYall Bobtail Member

May 18, 2016
    HILARIOUS! Maybe he's homoshiftic? LOL!

It's funny! Making manual vs auto somehow gender specific.

7. firemedic2816

firemedic2816 Road Train Member

May 14, 2016
    Walton Kentucky
    MTI is quickly shifting (see what I did there) to AUTOs, and A TON of DRIVERS ARE MIFFED

8. LongYall

LongYall Bobtail Member

May 18, 2016
    NYUK NYUK NYUK! LOL!

WISEGUY! " and you been eatin" onions!" - Bugs Bunny to Elmer Fudd

9. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
  10. Hamburger71

Hamburger71 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2014
    North Carolina
    Our company went to automatics two years ago when they replaced the fleet. It took a long time to adjust, but I finally am used to it now. In truth, it actually is nice at times, like when I am in California during rush hour and the traffic is working like an accordion. Other than that, I prefer a manual, especially when I am backing. It has its moments, but when you get stuck in the middle of Wyoming in the middle of winter, unable to move, because one, yes just one, wire has an issue, I prefer a manual. I am not even certain it really saves on fuel because they told us our truck has the most consistent fuel consumption and best fuel consumption of the fleet. This was after they realized we keep it in manual mode once we get up to cruising speed and thought it would be a fuel problem. Nope, we average the best of everyone. At last check we had over 40 thousand up shifts and 30 thousand down shifts in manual mode. All we are missing is the pedal clutch.

11. rookie-trkr33

rookie-trkr33 Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2017
    RAIDER EXPRESS is an ALL AUTOMATIC FLEET
    And they have their own CDL A School, no cost to you.
    Free Room and Board.
    http://www.raiderexpress.com

Also Melton Truck Lines, they train you on standard/manual trucks but they have Automatic....after training you can request an Automatic.
    (You must have your CDL A, before applying and have attended a Certified CDL A School or have 3 months of OTR)
    Their whole Fleet is moving to Automatics, because a better fuel milage they are getting.
    https://meltontruck.com/cdlTruckDriverJobs/DriverJobs/index.php

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.