Companies running automatic transmissions?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by smith2121, Oct 8, 2010.

1. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    wow, you must have what, 3 or 4 million miles in an autoshift to make these statements.

I mean, heck I've only got 1.1 million miles in my autoshifts running in mtn's, on snow, ice, rain, now your making me wonder how I made it from Denver to Grand Junction and back today on the snow and ice of I-70. Levitation????, must have been

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. striker

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co

something to keep in mind about the old timers on here who bash automatics, most of them are still stuck in the '70, side burns to their chest and polyester leisure suits still fill their closets. They hate the fact that the world is changing around them and that someday they might be like horse and buggy and left on the side of road.

Now, that said, I'll give them one bit of credit, before going with an all autoshift company, get some exp. with manuals just so you have it. It's kinda like riding a bike or sex, once oyu learn how you never forget. Hmm, maybe that explains the old timers, they're kinda like the Mahout's and the Elephants they steer.

JReding Thanks this.
  4. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    Hmmm. I thought I said that?

5. striker

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    I was making a general slam on some the ol' farts :biggrin_2559: who resist change

JReding Thanks this.
  6. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L

Oh hell....You know we're right, You just had to stick up for your "Ladies" transmission!:biggrin_2559:

We understand, We really do...

Now...If you'll excuse me, I need to go get my "Elvis" sideburns shaped and find a new 8 track of "East Bound and Down":biggrin_25522:
    Does anyone know where I can get my Levis "Big Bells" retreaded again?:biggrin_2559:

7. gypsumcat88

gypsumcat88 Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Wheeling,wv
    automatic trucks are for sissies!!!.....cant be a truck drive unless you know how to shift. What happens when you fall on your face on an all auto company..go work at mcdonalds?...if u have a classacdl u should know how to shift a big truck!

REDD Thanks this.
  8. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    I am not an old timer but I look at transmissions like antilock brakes. I would bet most of these guys have antilock brake systems on their tractors and trailers. None of them can stab break at 1,000 times per second. If automatic transmissions get to the point that they improve performance to that degree they would be fools not to embrace them. However testosterone does strange things.

JReding and tnkrdrvr1979 Thank this.
  9. calcustom

calcustom Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Manteca,CA
    Like it or not the automatic transmission truck has made its mark and is gaining ground.
    There are positives and negatives for both types of transmissions.
    To dismiss the automatic as useless and without merit is short sighted.
    When I go to school I will learn with a manual.
    When I get on with a company it will be in a truck with a manual.
    When and if I purchase a truck it just might be an auto.

http://www.truckinginfo.com/trucks-trailers/news-detail.asp?news_id=70083&news_category_id=70

JReding Thanks this.
  10. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    Is it just me? Or are most of the posts defending auto trannies made by people who don't know how to drive a truck or just gradumated the big dog trucking school?

jcroom76, Rerun8963 and blackw900 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.