Companies that will hire you with a felony background

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by pejoge1203, Apr 23, 2013.

1. jorgan81

jorgan81 Light Load Member

May 23, 2012
    Illinois
    King trucker there's a site called 2nd chances for felon's that has lots of companies that hire felon's. I know DOT Foods say's they hire, MBM say's they hire but not really sure, they probably do because most driver's dont want to unload freight. I know in my area MBM puts an ad on cl and the paper every week and have for a few year's now so they must be having trouble keeping driver's, they recently started advertising a sign on bonus to which they havent in the past. Sysco's website says yes if 7 yrs has passed but not sure, there job posting's other than there website says no felonies

KingTrucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. southpaw2153

southpaw2153 Light Load Member

May 10, 2013
    I don't even want to imagine what it's like to get a job with a felony on your record because the other day some terminal manager I spoke to about a job was giving me some hell over a ticket I received for a fire extinguisher that wasn't completely full and a ticket I received because my tail light blew out while I was on the road (It was working when I did my pre-trip).

Trucking is hard enough without having to deal with a felony. I admire you guys for sticking it out and dealing with all of the b-s that goes along with your search for a job.

vegaskid Thanks this.
  4. jorgan81

May 23, 2012
    Illinois
    Thank's southpaw. I can tell you it's definately hard if not impossible sometime's. Finding work is just one problom, the other one is housing, that's next to impossible as well. So the 2 most basic thing's people need, felon's are often turned down for. And they wonder why there's a revolving door effect. I keep on going for some dumb ### reason myself and cant figure out why I do. Almost 14 year's now, without so much as a speeding ticket and it's not getting any easier, it's in fact getting harder. Im not broken yet, but Im slowly getting there. I broken man with nothing to loose and nothing to fear can be mighty dangerous, I often find myself thinking dark thought's and hope that day never come's. As long as there are people out there like yourself and employer's willing to look past one's record, I have hope.

5. kirk

kirk Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    ks
    Why is Trans Am legal slavery?

6. YoTrucker

YoTrucker Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2013

thank you...this has been the part I have been worried the most about after finishing school

willardskillard Thanks this.
  7. kwikk9

kwikk9 Bobtail Member

May 18, 2013
    Maine
    Thanks for sharing. My husband's conviction is now 22 years old and he has been unable to find a job even though he is an upstanding citizen, a husband for 15 years and a wonderful father. The stigma is ridiculous. Thankfully, being self-employed has worked up until now. Everyone deserves to be judged on other factors, not a black mark in their past. Hopefully, the trucking industry will give him a break as well. He graduates mid-July.

8. jorgan81

May 23, 2012
    Illinois
    Kwikk9 he should be ok. 22 year's shouldnt be an issue depending what the felony was for. I have 3 felonies that are 14 year's old and I get an equal amount of job offer's and refusal's. The eeoc are going through the motion's now trying to come up with a solution. Who know's they may come up with something descent but I doubt it. It will be something alongthe line's of what they have now cant discriminate, but discrimination would be almost impossible to prove unless he employer openely admit's to it.

KingTrucker and 123456 Thank this.
  9. KingTrucker

KingTrucker Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Thanks Jorgan81... And I'm already employed with a company as an OTR driver, I'm just researching this company mostly for my next step up the ladder in my career. Regardless as to what these know-it-alls on this website say, nothings impossible as a convicted felon. I am working, enjoying the parts of the East Coast I haven't already seen and making good money doing so. Thanks again for the advice though. I will look into Sysco as well. I see alot of their trucks in my city.

10. KingTrucker

KingTrucker Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Pay no attention to all the negativity. He will find employment. First and foremost is GOD AND PRAYER, secondly is self will and the determination to succeed. Trust me, I am a walking, breathing, testimonial.

Bluskie, Sexybuilt and kwikk9 Thank this.
  11. Badboy4lyfe69

Badboy4lyfe69 Light Load Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Providence, R.I.
    @Southernshaker that wasnt nice to say. Im an ex- felon and i have to say that im very eager to start driving trucks on top of that why would any decent person say that. Its really hard getting in the trucking business with all these restriction against ex-felons who really want to change thier live for the better and make good money the legal way not illegally.

pusherman and Chinatown Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.