Companies who will not hire due to "hand held phone" ticket.

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Evilcapitalist, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Evilcapitalist

Evilcapitalist Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Aiken,SC
    I've been driving 17 years, starting my 18th year in a few days. My 10 year MVR is spotless, as in no points assigned against me. Except one thing: An overzealous cop in Michigan - need I say more? - wrote me a ticket last August for "hand held phone" and it's showing on my MVR, even though SC doesn't have this charge and there is no points against me(BTW, I wasn't even on the phone ... I was listening to music and had my ear buds in and picked up the phone to 'skip' a song, but he didn't care).

So, yesterday, I'm spending like 2 hours filling out an application for Southeastern Freight (very tedious trying to do it on a smartphone) and I get to a question that asks if I have received a ticket for " hand held phone". I said "yes," and got immediately booted from the application.

My question is, before I waste my time filling out more applications, who is NOT going to hire me due to this ticket?

Thanks, y'all and Happy Canada Day and Happy Independence Day.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
  4. Evilcapitalist

Oct 14, 2008
    Aiken,SC
    Thanks for your reply. I was asking who would NOT hire me. I wouldn't work for CRE if it was the last job on earth.

Shaggy and Air Breeze Thank this.
  5. mrdot

mrdot Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2015
    OH
    One mistake in 10 years.. I dont even see why it would automatically disqaulify you..

6. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    It was meant to be a joke ha.

Maybe figure out what kind of insurance the carrier has, it might be their requirements and not the company's. Just a thought, I could be completely wrong. It does seem odd to boot you for a single violation like that.

7. Evilcapitalist

Oct 14, 2008
    Aiken,SC
    Ok. Lol. Sorry I jumped the gun.

8. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    No one who has ever gotten one of these tickets was on the phone.

Gereke, 2Girls_1Truck, MJ1657 and 4 others Thank this.
  9. Oldman49

Oldman49 Medium Load Member

Jul 20, 2014
    SE Freight is kinda scary...used to deliver at docks in Greenville,Dallas and Atlanta. At the Atlanta ( Suwanee) dock, supervisors were always hounding workers. "No talking boys" " keep it moving " , " little faster" was all I heard over the intercom to the guys on the dock.
    An outbound driver might stop to compare traffic weather notes from an inbound driver,,same thing. " we aren't paying you to talk,,but to drive ". Geeesh. On the other hand the shop was held to the highest standards and equip was well maintained too..good luck !

10. WesternEmpire

WesternEmpire Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Arcade, NY
    17 years and you don't know it's illegal to drive with headphones or ear buds? Also, you had a phone in your hand, law prohibits hand held phones, I see nothing wrong with the ticket. Be thankful you weren't in a state that prohibits "hand held electronic devices". That covers about anything.

FLATBED and truckon Thank this.
  11. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Don't think schnieder won't, they are really **** about cellphones

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.