Company force Deducts bridge ticket!!

Discussion in 'CRST' started by linuxjoe, Feb 22, 2014.

1. linuxjoe

linuxjoe Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Wanna move to Texas
    Question for someone who will know this.

I drove for CRST, and during my training, like literally 8 days on the truck we were going through Rhode Island.
    My trainer was sitting in the passenger seat talking to me.

He was telling me he is from this area (lives in Maine) and travels this route all the time.
    Long story short, I went over the Pawtucket bridge on I-95.

Waiting at the bottom of the hill, was a friendly little trooper, with a hat that was too big for his head.
    Over-all the trooper was OK, didn't really give me much grief.

He asked how long I had been driving, and I told him "8 days so far".
    The next words from his mouth were "You have a pretty ###### trainer, for him to let you cross that bridge"

With my trainer sitting right there, I agreed with him, and said "he just told me he is from here and travels this area all the time"

Now when the trooper gave me the tickets, he said "This one is for you, and this is for your company"

I got one for I think $75.00, and the one for the company was $3,000 for overweight bridge.
    Now to me, being new, not knowing the area, and having the trainer up front with me - I shouldn't have ever got a ticket, because the trainer should have let me know we had to go around the bridge.

Of course as I was pulled over 50 trucks went by me while we were stopped.

Now here is the question part:

I paid my ticket that was issued to me, and the company paid the $3,000 one - but here is the trip out......they started a payroll deduction on me for that $3,000 dollars. Is this even legal for them to do?

The officer said it was for the company - not me, so how is it they can dock me for that bridge ticket?
    If anything, split it between me and the trainer.

With this, plus the deductions for the "school" I was bringing home NEGATIVE checks.
    I would clear maybe $150.00 - but many times nothing at all - working for free basically.

I swear there is a law that a company is not permitted to take more than 45% of your wages on a deduction.
    Can anyone please shed some light on this bridge ticket deduction, as in legality, recourse I can take?

Thanks for reading.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Personally, I wouldn't stand for that, if your story is true. Also, the company can't deduct from your paycheck if you're not working for them. Why didn't you quit after the first deduction?

4. linuxjoe

Jun 21, 2010
    Wanna move to Texas
    Because I was in a contract, and felt an obligation to stick it out.
    After bringing home 3 negative checks, I came back home, and stayed here.

Somewhere around here I will find the stubs I have and post them up.
    I may also have a copy of the ticket, but hell if I know where.

My question is on legality. If they can't do that, I will tell them to so pound salt wit the quickness.

5. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Whether or not your trainer was sitting beside you, there are a whole lot of very large bright yellow signs telling you that you must take 295. Did you not see those signs? They are hard to miss. If you saw them and chose to ignore them, you should absolutely be liable for paying the ticket. Why should the company be liable for paying it when you chose to ignore the well displayed instructions on the signs?

truckon Thanks this.
  6. linuxjoe

Jun 21, 2010
    Wanna move to Texas
    No, I did not see any - The sign which was there had been knocked over due to storms in the area best I recall.
    Being a noob, and sketched when first starting I would not have ignored a sign had I seen it.

Regardless, I am looking for something on the legality of it, not who's fault it was.
    I was driving, my fault, end of discussion.

What I need to know, is have any of you seen or heard of this situation before, or heard of a company docking a driver for a ticket that is clearly the COMPANIES ticket per DOT/LEO

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Don't worry about the $3K ticket to the company. Find another job and don't look back.

8. linuxjoe

Jun 21, 2010
    Wanna move to Texas
    Here is the sign encase someone is wondering. Wooden - that is the only one in the area, and it was NOT visible when we traveled through

RI.jpg

9. billyboy53

billyboy53 Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2013
    since when they restrict that bridge? I thought it has been fully open for trucks since 2012 or so that was last time I was around there up until mid 2013

10. BrenYoda883

BrenYoda883 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    That is a hard lesson to learn.. but you always have to cover your own ###.. taking the extra time for trip planni g will save you these headaches and tickets...
    I have a very good GPS... but it is only a tool and I dodnt rely on it alone.. if I am taking a route I have never been on I check tthe front of my rand mcnally.. another tool.. and then while driving I look for signs.. I mean I I diligently look for signs...

Now.. did hou get some sort of employee handbook.. something that tells you the companies policy on tickets.. cause it would be worth your while to look it over..

We all know that there are some good trainers and there are some horrible trainers and everything in bettween...so again.. dont just blindly put your fate in their hands... it is the most basic rule in trucking.... do and think for yourself... the other day I watched a driver help anotber driver back into a tricky spot.. he directed him rigbt into another truck.. then walked away...

Ithe thing to always remember is it is always the one in the drivers seat at the wheels responsibility... even if it is your 8th day or 80000th day...

So.. find and read the employee handbook and the companiies policy on tickets...

linuxjoe Thanks this.
  11. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Companies can do anything they want and always find loopholes.That sucks that you got stuck with their ticket..Considering how long you've been driving and your trainer awake and in the jump seat,he should have had to pay half of that ticket.How long has he been a trainer?

linuxjoe Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.