Complaint about Maverick Transportation LLC hiring Practices, opinions please

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by Gary7, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665 Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Tats don't seem to be a problem...I know a driver (a Marine) that has all kinds of tats on his arms...one of which reads "Bleed the freak".

Good guy...we went through orientation together.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665 Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2009
    And where are all of these east Tennessee boys coming from all of the sudden?

4. 75th Rangers

75th Rangers Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Tri-Cities, East Tennessee
    Thats good to know about the tats; may seem trivial, but when the time comes I just dont want to overlook anything "no matter how small or big" that would keep me from getting a good start in the industry with a reputable company.

When the time comes to go to school "in the future, 6 months to a year" does Maverick take into consideration that a perspective driver is just out of school RE: initial road test, backing, etc..."driving school does not a truck driver make"...once again just dont want to overlook anything and mess up a good thing by not being properly prepared, as best as I can be anyway.

God Bless.

5. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I personally have two visible tats. One on each bicep. A screaming eagle with a American flag wrapped around it with Desert Storm and a black panther on the other (family tradition) I made the cut and no mention of the tats was made. I have seen other visible tats on other mavericks. However they might frown on you if you go in there looking like the illustrated man with sleeves and prison tats, nose rings, ear ring and a stretched ear...:biggrin_2554:

6. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Ridgerunner. You have to remember the ones making fun of being maverick material do not understand the concept maverick is looking for. Some drivers have been out here for many years and scoff at any kind of selective cut. Personally I like the idea that they have strict guidelines they go by. When people see a maverick truck if they know anything about maverick they know there goes a driver that is above avg.

Even tho I am no longer with them. I liked being part of the team. I earned that and I have the respect for other maverick drivers. Not everybody can be a maverick driver. After I left them I would talk to other mavericks I seen at truck stops. When I told them I used to drive for maverick they would talk to me as I was still a maverick. I left maverick on good terms. My choosing not theirs. To this day I still say they are one of the best companies if not the best co I ever drove for. The other co that was also top shelf I was not with them as long as I was with maverick so it is a hard call to make which was better.

For the newbies looking at maverick they are strict. If you can make the cut they know you are new and will work with you. I seen several let go, but only after so many repeated mistakes that kept costing them money. If you do something maverick expects you to man up and own up to it. Not make excuses for it. Like I have heard several on here complain a couple years ago blaming maverick because they let them go after they hit something 4 or 5 different times.

Those that are in the military and considering maverick will understand guidelines and expect more out of themselves and those around them. As I have said before maverick is very selective and you have to prove yourself.

Ridgerunner665, Fratsit and Ops85 Thank this.
  7. 75th Rangers

Mar 12, 2010
    Thanks notarps; you have been a wealth of information "as have others" RE: Maverick.

Aside from the obvious "what should be anyway; though not seen much in this day and time" good work ethic, honest, follow rules, professionalism, etc...what advise could you or any others give to a person who is going to embark "out of want, not need & if be the Lords Will" into trucking/lifestyle so as to succeed in doing such; I could go on and on about; I want to do this because of this and that, but I wont, Im sure you all have heard it all; Ive sure read it all; I just want all the advise I can get before making this future transition so I can become a good driver.

Thanks and God Bless.

8. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

Your welcome, now first let me say thank you for serving your Country!:biggrin_25514: I have never been one to try to discourage anyone from fulfilling their dreams. Having said that I will say trucking has changed drasticly and I do not know if or when it will return to what I will call normal for trucking. I have gotten fed up with the result of how things have gotten and have gave up on trucking. Now the best step since you are doing this on account of you want to is to be very informed about the job and the variables to trucking. Research the company very well. Do not ever react on the thinking this is the only option I have. So many have ended up at places like CRE with that line of thinking.

Know going into this that the deck is already stacked against a new guy surviving just starting out. Pick the wrong co and get a bottom feeder and the odds just dropped. Either they will ruin you or you will get so frustrated with a jacked up co that you will bail or have something done to your DAC or both. You will have to take everything anyone says with a grain of salt. Even me. What is a good fit for one driver is not always a good fit for every driver. You will need to pay attention to detail. Your trainer will help (or should) get you ready for solo, but the real learning comes from rolling solo.

Times are tough. Know that even good companies like maverick has made changes to stay afloat. The pay is lower for newbies than it used to be. Some of the driving bennies like paid 800 mile pay if hung out for the weekend is gone. I think it is a flat 150 bucks now. Look out for recruiters and drivers looking to get paid to get you on with their co. Even I have been accused of being a recruiter for maverick or posting good stuff about them to keep my job.(that is why you have to question some people) If I did either why am I still posting good about a company I no longer work for? What do I have to lose or gain?

I have always posted to help the new drivers. Does not matter what company as long as they get a good fit for them. The best thing I can tell you is pull the stats on companies you are looking at. http://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/SafeStat/disclaimer.asp
    Talk to drivers. Look at the equipment. Observe and sit down and use every reference you can find to get info. Ask questions, but remember you have to pick and choose. You have to sleep in the sleeper of the co you pick. Good luck!

TexomaYankee Thanks this.
  9. 75th Rangers

Mar 12, 2010
    Thanks notarps; if it takes 6 months, 1 year or 2 years that is the time I will take to make this transition; it may be out of want, but I will take the time needed (which I have;if be the Lords Will) to be as properly prepeared as possible, it wont be out of blinded, uninformed stupidity "not intending to sound brash; just saying Im not going to jump into the pool with no pants on".

I know this is on a Maverick thread but what are your alls opinions on Mcelroy; I have read and heard good things about them also; or other reputable Flat Bed companies that hire newbies "when the time comes it will be Flat Bed".

Thanks again to all; God Bless.

10. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I think mcelroy is also a good co. I got a guy on there from another board years ago. He was a brand new driver straight out of school. He is now a trainer for them. He likes them. They get their drivers home on weekends. I have met don several times since then on the road. He is a nice guy I will ask him if it is OK to send you his email and you can ask him about them if you like. I also know a few others that drive for them. They are still with them.

Like all companies they are not the same and as good as they once were. Times have forced changes in trucking.

Tandem trucking might also be a good choice. There are a few other decent ones. Will have to do some pondering. Might also look into watkins shepperd.

11. 75th Rangers

Mar 12, 2010
    I appreciate the thanks for serving my/our country; though it was many years ago (1985-1988 active - 1988-1991 Guard/Reserve) I was and am still proud of it.

I would also like to thank each and every one of you all (past, present and future) that has proudly served and been on the ready to protect our one nation under God.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.